Full-Time Senior Land Use and Environmental Advisor and Community Representative
SUPERVISOR, THIRD DISTRICT
San Diego County Board of Supervisors
The County of San Diego Board of Supervisors Third District Office is seeking a Policy Advisor and Community Representative with significant experience to help drive the Supervisor’s policy agenda. We are looking for a candidate with significant expertise in land use, climate, and environmental policy, regional and active transportation, shoreline preservation, and regional finance.
Do you want to help transform a $7b annual budget, impacting 3.3m people? Are you passionate about acting with urgency to tackle issues such as criminal justice reform and access to justice, climate change, environmental justice, affordable housing, healthcare for all, access to services, mental and behavioral health, racial justice, food insecurity, public health, public transit, sprawl development, protecting our beaches and coastlines, solutions to homelessness, worker’s rights, childcare, and dignity for immigrant families? Join us to advance a new agenda at the San Diego County Board of Supervisors that centers justice, opportunity, sustainability, and a moral economy. More here: https://www.supervisorterralawsonremer.com/.
We are looking for experienced visionaries, creative and dogged problem-solvers, and great team players.
Skills and Experience Required:
- 7+ years of policy, legal, finance, and/or operations experience related to land use, environmental policy, transportation, shoreline preservation, and climate justice. More than seven years preferred.
- Proven ability to excellently manage complex projects and coordinate projects across a team
- Represent Supervisor at community events, community planning groups, etc.
- Significant experience engaging with stakeholders, convening tables, and navigating political and relational landmines to drive policy agendas
- Proven ability to juggle multiple simultaneous projects over short and long time horizons
- Intuitive understanding of the intersection between policy, communications, and community organizing
- Excellent judgement regarding strategic policy priorities, taking into consideration the political and communications landscape
- Excellent writer and researcher, with the ability to connect complex ideas with the lives of real people, and convey complicated concepts cogently and compellingly
- Flexible thinker, with a proven ability to quickly build substantive expertise in new areas
- Comfortable presenting and discussing policy and neighborhood concerns with constituents
- Ability to a policy portfolio and present your analysis in a coherent manner.
- Creating and passing legislation.
Essential Job Functions:
- Providing ongoing policy briefs on diverse, complex, and often unanticipated issues that come before the Board of Supervisors for a vote
- Producing deep-dive policy and operational research and analysis on priority initiatives
- Consulting with stakeholders to gather input and build support for the Supervisors’ policy agenda
- Drafting formal policy implementation proposals for consideration and vote by the Board
- Meeting with County staff to gather policy input and monitor and supervise policy implementation
- Managing cross-functional teams that include communications specialists and community organizers
- Translating complex policy ideas into talking points, emails, briefs, and other publicly accessible communications
- Presenting Supervisor’s policy and operational updates to constituents at community meetings
- Other Duties as Assigned
Salary and Benefits:
Commensurate with experience. Benefits include Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Flexible Spending Account, Defined Benefit Pension Plan Transit Pass Voucher, Vacation and Sick Leave.