Temporary Seasonal Guest Services Associate – Concord, MA
The Guest Services Associate is a part-time position reporting to the Old Manse Guest Services Coordinator. The Guest Services Associate is responsible for greeting and assisting visitors, selling tickets and processing sales of merchandise and Trustees memberships.
In This Role You Will.
- Greeting visitors and assisting them with museum orientation and purchases.
- Overseeing tickets sales for individual visitors, groups, and members.
- Safeguarding daily receipts and strictly accounting for funds.
- Membership promotion and sales.
- Answer phones – assisting callers and checking messages.
- Take suggestions and field questions to appropriate departments.
- Keep informed of special events and group program schedules.
- Be flexible and able to think on your feet providing the best service possible to guests.
- Maintain a neat, clean and inviting reception area.
- Operate cash register, process sales, count and balance drawer.
- Know the Old Manse’s history, website, and exhibits.
- Know the Core Values, Mission Statement and Vision of the Trustees of Reservations.
- Specific store and other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent education and related experience.
- Experience working in retail or other customer facing position preferred.
- Sound verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organization skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to run a cash register; possession of basic math skills required
- Excel and word processing experience preferred
- Must be able to see, speak and hear effectively
- Expected to alternatively sit, stand, walk at least 6 hours daily
- Must be capable of climbing stairs several times daily
- Must be capable of operating equipment: computer, fax, scanner, copier, and telephone
- Flexibility to work weekends required
- A satisfactory criminal background check (CORI)
Indoor work environment, with occasional outdoor events; requires ability to stand for long periods of time.
Please note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a seasonal, non-exempt, hourly paid position, with an optimal start date in April. This position is based in Concord, MA.
The Trustees offers competitive compensation and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
About The Old Manse
A handsome Georgian clapboard building, The Old Manse sits near the banks of the Concord River among rolling fields edged by centuries-old stone walls and graced by an orchard. From upstairs, you can look out over the North Bridge, where the famous battle of April 19, 1775, took place. Ralph Waldo Emerson and Nathaniel Hawthorne both called the Manse home for a time – and each found inspiration here. Emerson would draft his famous essay “Nature” from an upstairs room, and Hawthorne would write a tribute to the homestead called Mosses from an Old Manse. Hawthorne and his wife, Sophia, started their married life here, and you can still see the poems they wrote to each other, etched on the Manse’s window panes. The heirloom vegetable garden, which has been recreated today, was originally planted by Henry David Thoreau in honor of the Hawthornes’ wedding.
About The Trustees
The Trustees is one of Massachusetts’ largest non-profits and the nation’s first conservation and preservation organization. Today, the places we care about are going fast, and the forces undermining them, including climate change, are moving faster. Our passion is to protect and share with everyone the irreplaceable natural and cultural treasures under our care. We are funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 60,000 member households.
The Trustees has been featured in the Top 100 Women-Led Organizations in Massachusetts for six consecutive years.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees aims to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of its team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
The Trustees is a signer of the Boston Women’s Workforce Council and a Member of the Boston College Center for Work and Family.
We kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.