Full-Time Restoration Ecologist
Job Req Number: 520237895
Application Link: https://secure.onehcm.com/ta/KMEA.careers?ShowJob=520237895
Employee Type: FULL TIME
Salary Range: $20.00 – $24.18 per hour
KMEA is a multi-discipline environmental services firm growing its contracts with the Federal Government and private sector clients. We are seeking a full time Habitat Restoration Ecologist or Technician for work activities primarily on military bases in San Diego County, such as Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton and Marine Corps Base Miramar, but other work locations could be assigned.
The Restoration Ecologist shall have experience in conducting weeding, soil preparation, seeding, planting, propagation, and monitoring for habitat restoration projects. Work duties will include demonstrated field skills in weeding, pesticide applications, planting, review and understanding of project work plans, design and installation of temporary irrigation systems, and other habitat restoration activities including special status species habitat types.
The Restoration Ecologist will work with the team members in the performance of field work and will perform job functions independently as required. The position is primarily field-based and requires good physical conditioning and daily travel to job sites, with work occurring in various habitats and environments.
- Hand weeding and pesticide application.
- Must be able to stoop, stand and bend for extended periods of time and work on uneven and/or difficult terrain in environments with changing temperatures with exposure to weather and elements.
- Follow work plans, restoration plans, and health & safety plans.
- Conduct seeding, planting, and propagation.
- Use of hand tools and equipment related to weeding and restoration activities.
- Knowledge of Conservation Measures.
- Knowledge of species native to California.
- Read irrigation diagrams and maps.
- Operate 4-wheel drive vehicles, water trucks, and motorized equipment, as needed.
- Work well with others, including ability to communicate and listen in a professional manner.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- High School graduate or equivalent, college degree preferred.
- Experience/Knowledge of herbicide application with backpack sprayer.
- California Pesticide Qualified Applicators Certificate (QAC) or License (QAL) preferred.
- Knowledge of invasive weeds and California native plants is highly desirable.
- Six months of field experience in habitat restoration preferred.
- Working knowledge of soil preparation and temporary irrigation methods in remote locations.
- Knowledge of heavy equipment, water trucks, farm equipment, four-wheel-drive vehicles.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be in good physical condition, able to walk, hike, and carry gear independently (able to lift up to 50 lbs)
- Must be able to work outside full-time with long exposure to weather and elements.
- Must pass drug test, MVR check, and federal government background check.
- Must be able to travel daily up to 100% of the time for field assignments in Southern California
- Must be eligible to work legally in the US.
- Must provide proof of COVID 19 vaccination (first two doses).
TOP REASONS TO WORK WITH US:
- Safety: The goal of the KMEA safety team is zero incidents. In support of this goal, at KMEA safety takes precedence over expediency.
- People: We value everyone’s role and collaborate to produce the best results.
- Integrity and Ethics: We say what we mean and do what we say.
- Outstanding Customer Satisfaction: Outstanding customer satisfaction established our reputation and secures our future.
- Innovation: We embrace change as an opportunity, not as a threat.
- Profitability Controlled: Sustainable profitable growth allows us to provide financial security for our employees and their families and to give back to the community.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
KMEA is a project management, environmental, energy, engineering and sustainability consulting company providing professional engineering, scientific, and technical services to our clients throughout the United States and internationally. With technical centers throughout the country KMEA’s award-winning services include Major Program Management, Environmental Remediation, Environmental Engineering & Consulting Services, Energy, Engineering (A/E), Sustainability, Staff Augmentation and Third-party Inspection Services.
The goal of KMEA is simple – to provide superior client services and advocacy to cost-effectively manage our clients’ environmental, energy, engineering and sustainability issues. Since its founding in 1996, KMEA’s outstanding performance is testimony to our commitment and dedication to our customers.
KMEA offers a full range of benefits, including 99% employer-paid medical plan for employees; dental and vision plans; flexible spending account (FSA) for pre-tax medical, dental and vision products and services and dependent care; a generous Paid Time Off (PTO) plan; Company-paid group life insurance; supplemental voluntary term life (VTL) policy with a guaranteed issue benefit; and 401(k) plan with a generous Company match and vesting plan.
Proof of COVID 19 vaccination will be required or an approved accommodation for a disability/medical condition as required by federal, state, provincial, or local mandates or customer requirements.
KMEA is a federal contractor and qualified Military Veterans, and other Qualified Protected Class candidates are encouraged to apply.
KMEA is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, hairstyle (including Afros, braids, twists, cornrows and dreadlocks), religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions) sex stereotype, gender identity or gender expression or transgender (including whether or not you are transitioning or have transitioned) and sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, marital status or registered domestic partner status, age (40 and above), military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
KMEA will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. A request for a reasonable accommodation may be made at any time during the application or hiring process or while employed by KMEA.