Full-Time Program Director
Program Director – Friends of the Urban Forest
About Friends of the Urban Forest
Since 1981, Friends of the Urban Forest, a premier San Francisco environmental nonprofit, has brought together communities throughout the city to plant more than 60,000 trees — half of San Francisco’s street tree canopy. Friends of the Urban Forest has a long history of integrating urban greening with civic engagement as a way to increase community health and resilience, combat the effects of the climate crisis, and promote environmental equity and social justice.
Friends of the Urban Forest is seeking a passionate, dynamic and experienced individual to serve as our next Program Director. This position will be responsible for the success and implementation of Friends of the Urban Forest’s greening programs, including tree and sidewalk garden planting, tree care, and watering. This position will lead the implementation of a forthcoming strategic plan as it impacts the planning, administration, evaluation, and enhancement of all the above programs and supervision of all program staff, playing a key leadership role in fostering organizational values of environmental justice, equity, and inclusion. The Program Director will also regularly report on progress toward established goals, evaluating and revising reporting systems to align with our new plan. This position will partner with our Development and Marketing and Communications teams to build awareness of our work and cultivate funding opportunities. A key member of the organizational leadership team, this position reports to the Executive Director.
● Oversee the Tree Planting, Tree Care, Watering, and Sidewalk Landscaping programs, and hire, train, coach, and supervise four program managers.
● Maintain a safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following and enforcing standards and procedures and complying with legal regulations.
● Assist and review grant invoicing.
● Review monthly financial statements to ensure that monthly and annual goals are being met.
● Coordinate an annual assessment of programs as part of the budget preparation process.
● Ensure grant compliance and satisfactory completion of grant and other funding obligations.
● Evaluate staffing needs and develop corresponding job descriptions.
● Conduct regular performance evaluations with Program Managers; providing coaching and support; communicate job expectations; plan, monitor, and provide regular feedback on job performance; recommend compensation actions; and follow policies and procedures.
● Conduct quarterly program evaluations and ensure all programs are meeting assigned goals and objectives.
● Maintain and revise data entry procedures and protocols in conjunction with the Data Manager.
● Conduct program and organizational development in collaboration with the Executive Director and leadership team.
● Develop programmatic narratives and budget projections for potential funding sources and collaborate on funding proposals.
● Prepare and review program budgets in collaboration with the Finance and Contracts Director and Executive Director.
● Create and standardize program operations and ensure compliance with policies and procedures. Ensure that programs have up-to-date program manuals.
● Maintain existing and establish new relationships with vendors and contractors, other non-profits, and government agencies.
● Represent Friends of the Urban Forest at meetings and other events to promote the organization and its programs as needed.
● As the organizational strategic plan is finalized, contribute and provide input to develop relevant plan goals and objectives.
● Align Program design and operations with organizational values and vision.
● Evaluate and report on progress toward relevant plan goals and objectives.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
● Eight years of professional experience in arboriculture, community forestry, land stewardship, or related fields.
● Five years of experience supervising and mentoring staff.
● Significant relevant program management and evaluation experience.
● A strong commitment to environmental justice, equity, and inclusion within the broader movement and the workplace.
● A courteous, helpful attitude on the job, and a willingness and ability to be responsive to colleagues, stakeholders, public officials, staff, and Board members.
● Excellent interpersonal skills and strong written and verbal communication skills.
● A willingness to take initiative and the ability to work in a self-directed manner.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits
The Program Director position is full-time, exempt with an annual salary range of $95,000 – $105,000 depending on experience. Friends of the Urban Forest’s benefits package includes 100% employer-covered medical, dental, vision, life, and AD&D insurance for employees and 50% for dependents (up to a certain limit). We offer a 403(b) Retirement Plan, a generous paid leave policy that includes 13 holidays each year, vacation starting at 12 days and increasing with additional years of employment, funds for professional development opportunities, and stipends for remote work.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Friends of the Urban Forest is dedicated to gender and race equity and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, Friends of the Urban Forest does not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of any status or characteristic protected by applicable laws or ordinances. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Flexible and Safe Work Environment
The position currently operates in a hybrid model with approximately 75% time working remotely and 25% time in the office, which is located in the beautiful Presidio of San Francisco.
Friends of the Urban Forest is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy environment for all employees. In an effort to avoid serious health and safety risks and significant disruption to our work, we have taken measures to protect against the spread of COVID-19 including a mandatory vaccination policy. New hires will be asked to provide proof of vaccination on the first day of employment.