Full-Time Legal Administrative Assistant
The Southern Environmental Law Center has opened a new Legal Administrative Assistant position in its Chapel Hill, NC office. The principal responsibilities of this position are to provide basic administrative support to several attorneys in the office and serve a key role in those attorneys’ performance of their program and litigation efforts.
About the Position
- Provides legal support to assigned attorneys by preparing and filing pleadings and public comments; performing research; preparing reports, fact sheets, graphics and presentations; preparing and assisting at hearings and depositions; managing and assisting with discovery and public records requests; and proofreading, editing and processing documents, as well as performing other case-related tasks.
- Provides administrative support to assigned attorneys by managing calendars, organizing and facilitating meetings, booking travel, preparing expense reports, and organizing and maintaining records and files.
- Provides general office support by backing up the receptionist, helping other legal assistants as needed, assisting with meetings and events, and adhering to established systems and procedures.
- Two years of legal experience.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work closely and professionally with a team of attorneys and other administrative staff.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Proficiency with PCs and Microsoft Office applications.
- Detail oriented and well organized.
- Positive attitude.
- Environmental interest preferred.
About SELC: The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South. With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of 170, including 90 attorneys, and is headquartered in Charlottesville, Va., with offices in Asheville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and Washington, D.C.
SELC believes that a broad range of ideas, life experiences, and backgrounds enriches our workplace, drives innovative thinking, and attracts highly talented people who seek a work environment that values the unique contributions of individual team members. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this belief. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflect the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment. We are looking for people to join us in this effort. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation: SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental non-profits nationally and provides an excellent benefits package. For more details about our benefits package, please visit our Careers page.
How to Apply
To Apply: To apply, click here to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. There is no deadline to submit applications, however interested persons should apply immediately. We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position if filled.