Full-Time Landscape / Restoration Design Director
Landscape /Restoration Design Director
Reports to: Company Owner
Status: Full-time, Salary
BlueFlax Design, LLC, a design/build firm located in Harwich, Massachusetts (on Cape Cod) specializing in a blend of landscape and ecological restoration design and implementation, seeks a Design Director to collaborate with and direct our design team in the development of ecologically based landscape design and master planning plans, and coastal and inland wetland mitigation/restoration and land management projects.
Landscape plans include traditional elements such as planting, grading, drainage/green infrastructure, hardscape (e.g. patios, walkways, pools, retaining walls etc), and landscape lighting. Land management and restoration plans include site analysis and ecological assessments of existing site conditions, development of restoration plans and protocols based on site analysis, and writing land management narratives.
Fieldwork includes site visits for site analysis, measurements, checking spot grades etc., on site meetings with clients, and collaboration with our field crew and environmental technicians to prepare for project implementation.
- Collaborating with and overseeing the design team in the development of landscape and land management plans using sound ecological design principles
- Collaborating with the design team to create graphic renderings (perspective drawings, photo sketches, section/elevation drawings etc)
- Creating client proposals and estimates for design projects
- Presentation of projects to Conservation Commissions and other permitting/regulatory boards and departments
- Assisting with the preparation and filing of permit applications
- Client communication and project management through each of the design phases
- Supervising design staff and managing design workflow (e.g., creating deadlines, tracking progress, and assigning tasks)
- Requirements/Technical Skills:
- Proven landscape design/ecological design background including a solid understanding of plant communities. Master’s degree preferred.
- Strong writing and graphic communication skills
- In-depth of knowledge of AutoCAD Software, Adobe Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator, Microsoft Excel and Word a must, QGIS and Sketchup a plus
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Excellent attention to detail
- Familiarity with the Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act and municipal wetland regulations/bylaws is a plus.
- Other responsibilities include:
- Use of project management software to track project progress, deadlines, and assignments
- Organizing and maintaining digital and physical design files
- Assist Project Manager with organization of project materials for the purposes of estimating and preparing for project implementation
- Other tasks and responsibilities related to the position as assigned.
Salary commensurate with experience. BlueFlax Design LLC offer benefits including health insurance, retirement savings plans (Simple IRA with company contribution), paid holidays, vacation, and sick time and Professional Development opportunities.