Full-Time Land Use and Forestry Certification Manager
Land Use and Forestry Certification Manager
Remote, US based (New York or Boston) preferred
Reports to Innovation Director
Founded in 2018, SustainCERT offers simple, tech-driven solutions for verifying impacts in climate protection, supply chains, and investment products. We are the official certification body for Gold Standard for the Global Goals, the most credible and robust standard for measuring, reporting and verifying climate and development impacts.
This role will oversee certification of land use offset projects (Afforestation/Reforestation and Agriculture) and serve as the in-house land use technical expert, performing on-site audits for certain projects such as value chain sustainability reporting certifications.
It is expected the role will be shared approximately 50/50 across these 2 complementary areas.
• Act as a focal point for project developers during the Gold Standard certification process
• Manage and maintain a team of independent reviewers certifying a growing pipeline of Gold Standard Land Use carbon offset projects audited by VVBs
• Conduct Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QA/QC) on the independent reviewer by ensuring that emissions removals are correctly calculated and that Gold Standard requirements are met
Sustainability Reporting Certifications
• Review quantification approaches that account for GHGs in sequestration activities in projects (noting that approaches will generally follow common practice/established principles)
• Confirm if equations and approaches are technically acceptable (in line with cited limitations, assumptions and rationale).
• Assist in planning and conducting land use project GHG audit site visits
• Use common auditing techniques (observation, inquiry/surveys, analytical testing, measurement, cross checking etc) to gather evidence during an on-site visit in support of a final GHG audit opinion.
• Assist and lead on preparing validation and verification reports
• a higher degree in a land-use science related subject
• at least 5 years’ experience in land-use practice, ideally in the context of certification (either as a project developer, auditor or standards setter)
• the ability to demonstrate technical knowledge of climate change, afforestation/reforestation, carbon accounting approaches in land use, monitoring, reporting, and verification (MRV) of land use projects, remote sensing, and development issues.
• Able to deliver high quality output on complex assignments within deadlines
• Flexible, innovative and self-motivated
• Highly numerate and with a good command of English
• Experience in soil organic carbon
• 3 years plus experience as an GHG Land Use auditor
• ISO 14064 Auditor Training
• Salary will be commensurate with experience
• Benefits are provided