Full-Time Grants Writer / Manager
Sonoma Ecology Center (SEC) is a 30-year-old nonprofit with a mission to work with our community to identify and lead actions that achieve and sustain ecological health in Sonoma Valley. SEC is respected throughout the North Bay and beyond for our contributions to important land, water, biodiversity, and climate initiatives. We have 30 professional, dedicated staff members and manage numerous large grants and contracts, often in partnership with other nonprofits and agencies that, by working together, significantly leverage our work and impact.
SEC is seeking an experienced Grants Writer/Manager with a proven track record of winning grant awards with government agencies, private foundations, and corporate funders. The successful candidate will have experience identifying grant opportunities, writing grants, maintaining relationships with funders, and concurrently managing multiple grants. SEC is looking for someone who can collaborate with Program Managers to convey to prospective funders the ecological and social benefits delivered through SEC’s work, and at the same time, meet the technical demands of complex RFP processes.
Primary Purpose: Sustain and increase support from government agencies, private foundations, and corporate partners to help SEC achieve its mission and strengthen its organizational capacity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Includes but not limited to):
Grants Prospect Research
- Work with Executive Director, Program Managers, and staff to gain a clear understanding of organizational priorities and funding opportunities
- Conduct prospect research of agencies, foundations, and corporations to identify new opportunities for funding in alignment with organizational needs and opportunities
- Draft clear and compelling grant proposals, letters of intent, and budgets that fully address funders’ explicit and implicit information requirements
- Work with staff to assure that proposals’ work descriptions, budgets, maps, and promised deliverables are correct, complete, professional, and feasible
- Work with project partners to document clear agreements about resource commitments, responsibilities, and budget allocations
- Coordinate with staff to establish and maintain effective working relationships with new and existing funders
- Create customized acknowledgements, reports, thank you letters, and other requested information on time and per funder’s requirements, primarily for foundation and corporate funders
- Coordinate site visits to showcase the strengths of SEC’s programs
Grants Management and Recordkeeping
- Maintain grants calendar to ensure timely submission of LOIs, grants, and reports, and to guide organizational planning and staff workflow
- Maintain accurate information on foundation, corporation, and government contact information, including funders’ areas of interest, deadlines, requests for funding, funding made, and any other interactions
- Maintain information on all grants, funded and not funded, to maximize future strategies
- Devise and use systems to ensure accurate tracking and delivery of all grants activities and communications; ensure that funders’ reporting requirements are met through regular contact with Executive Director, Program Managers, and Administrative Department
- Manage proposal processing, including board approvals, obtaining support letters, printing, assembling, shipping, online submittal, and archiving materials on SEC’s server
- Proven record of securing grants from government entities, private foundations, and corporations for environmental education, conservation, environmental science, and ecological restoration
- Excellent skills communicating with the public and coworkers: in writing, in person, on the phone, and via web conferencing (Zoom)
- Excellent persuasive writing and editing skills, with attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work well with others and to delegate and coordinate tasks as needed to gather information and meet timelines
- Ability to manage multiple timelines and deadlines
- Knowledge of California foundations and the corporate community, especially those who invest in the environment, is desirable
- Belief in SEC’s mission
- Familiarity with local agencies and regional partners is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with grant prospecting and management software desirable
- Strong Microsoft Office and Google Workspace experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of experience
- Spanish proficiency desirable
This is a traditional office job, one which requires sitting, typing, standing, and being at a computer workstation for lengthy periods of time. One must have the ability to use office equipment (including, but not limited to: computer, phone, and printer/copier) and computer systems to fulfill essential functions of the position.
At times, one will travel to meetings or conferences. One must have reliable transportation, a current Driver’s License, and comprehensive auto insurance. A DMV check will be performed.
How to Apply
- Please apply using BambooHR HRIS by clicking here: https://sonomaecologycenter.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=27
- Alternatively, email email@example.com and write Grant Writer in the Header, please. Please attach your resume, cover letter, and three references, preferably in one PDF. A writing sample would be helpful. Top candidates will be asked to provide several samples.
- No phone calls, please. For more information about the Sonoma Ecology Center, please visit www.sonomaecologycenter.org.
- All qualified applicants will be given equal consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, including transgender, pregnancy, breastfeeding, veteran, military status, genetic information, and marital status or familial status. Sonoma Ecology Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Equal access to programs, services, and employment is available to all persons. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and/or interview process should notify our Human Resources Department. Persons with diverse backgrounds and of all ethnicities and genders are encouraged to apply.
- All offers of employment are contingent on the results of a background check.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405