Full-Time Program Director
Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, The Sunrise Project is a team of experienced change-makers, researchers and communications professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the global transition beyond fossil fuels. With affiliated programs and staff in Australia, Europe, and the US, we have developed a unique model of grantmaking and campaigning that supports networks of organisations to drive powerful change towards our mission.
We have a dynamic and nimble organizational culture and we’re serious about supporting our people to thrive. We’re committed to building justice and equity into our organization as well as through our work in the world. We move fast and are growing rapidly as we lean into the urgency of the climate challenge.
We believe that a diversity of experiences and perspectives, reflecting the diversity of all people impacted most by climate change will help us build stronger strategies, teams and movements.We strongly encourage First Nations people, people of colour, people living outside of cities, and people with all kinds of bodies and talents to apply. If you meet some but not all of these criteria, or are unsure, but you’re keen on the role – please get in touch.
About the role
The Investor Program Director is a new senior role within The Sunrise Project leadership team that is responsible for managing the inception, design and delivery of major program strategies to shift the global finance system on climate change, and proactively contributes to the overall strategic direction and vibrant organisational culture of the Sunrise Project. This role is one of three program directors who manage senior staff across multiple program areas within our overall finance program.
Program Directors are highly experienced leaders with a canny grasp of politics, policy and strategy, with strong analysis, facilitation, management, and campaign skills. The role of the Program Director is to take responsibility for developing strong program strategies that support movement partners to create effective campaigns and initiatives that create real world change towards our shared goals, while also ensuring that the movement is more than the sum of its parts.
You’re a creative, big picture thinker with a hunger to solve the climate crisis. You’ve got a track record of leading effective campaigns that win real world outcomes and are passionate about driving the shift of finance out of fossil fuels. You have a knack for understanding complex systems and a deep understanding of how social movements work, including how research, policy and grassroots organising combine to achieve change. You’re a great facilitator and a skilled collaborator, and are able to work effectively with people from all walks of life – from community activists through to politicians and business leaders. If you’re not already an expert in global finance, you’ve got the ability to rapidly master complex policy, regulatory and political dynamics. Most importantly you are a leader people believe in, you’re generous and caring, provide wise-counsel and can have sensitive and difficult conversations which leave your relationships stronger.
- Manage a team of senior campaign staff to develop and implement high impact strategies to drive stronger investor climate action;
- Manage budgets and grantmaking within relevant program areas;
- Proactively manage and support a team of senior program staff including supporting professional development;
- Actively nurture a creative, dynamic and supportive culture within your program team and in the wider organisation;
- Lead evaluation of relevant programs and contribute to a culture of continual learning and experimentation across the organisation;
- Work collaboratively with other parts of the Sunrise team and identify and support opportunities for synergy across program areas to ensure we have the biggest collective impact possible;
- Build and maintain high level relationships with civil society and business leaders and represent the organization in public fora as required;
- Proactively contribute to the overall strategic direction of The Sunrise Project including development and incubation of new strategies;
- A demonstrated passion for climate justice. If you’re not hungry to change the world this role isn’t for you;
- A minimum of five years experience running high impact change strategies that win real world outcomes, including the use of both inside engagement and outside pressure to shift corporate behaviour;
- A sophisticated understanding of corporate power in relation to climate change action (and inaction);
- A detailed understanding of the key drivers of financial markets and institutional investors, including dynamics around shareholder engagement and resolutions, would be highly beneficial but is not a strict requirement of the role.
- Excellent people management skills and a track record of leading high performing teams;
- A collaborative mindset and a proven ability to work effectively in alliance with diverse stakeholders;
- Excellent interpersonal communication and group facilitation skills;
- The ability to develop and clearly articulate effective strategies to drive change in complex systems;
If you meet some but not all of the criteria for this position, are unsure, but you’re keen on the role – please get in touch. We value and recognise experience that has been unpaid, from the grassroots or is lived experience.
Conditions and location
- This is a full time, ongoing permanent role;
- The location is flexible for the right candidate however we have a strong preference for this role to be based in the US;
Depending on experience (including unpaid and other experiences) and capacity to take on responsibility, the salary range is $113,900 – $124,300 annually. Excellent benefits package includes 401(k) employer match; 100% employer paid health, vision and dental coverage;
In our commitment to inclusive hiring of the best candidates, we use the Be Applied hiring system to process applications. The Be Applied system reduces the opportunity for unconscious bias in allowing for anonymised reviews of responses to work sample questions. This means we assess candidates on how well they strategise and communicate on relevant work. When you click on the link you will be taken to an external site to start your application. You will be required to upload a CV or resume and will be asked several questions that will be related to the role you are applying for. There is no requirement to submit a cover letter.
How Sunrise supports its staff:
The Sunrise Project is committed to creating a workplace that supports our staff to do their best work and develop professionally. We have the following in place to help us achieve that:
- Generous annual leave
- Birthday leave (if it’s your birthday, you get a day off)
- Cultural leave
- Generous paid parental leave
- Commitment to supporting to your professional development
- Access to Employee Assistance Program
- Coaching and management support with regular 1:1 meetings
- Performance reviews and feedback to support you and the team to reflect and grow
- A co-developed initial 3 month work plan to help you hit the ground running and have clarity on your role and responsibilities
- Flexible work policy
Sunrise US is a project of Windward Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. Windward Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Windward Fund ‘s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
How to ApplyPlease submit your application online via this link. APPLICATIONA CLOSE NOV. 30, 11:59PM PT.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405