Full-Time Full time Environmental Fellowship: EcoFellowship Class of 2020-21
EcoFellowship Class of 2020-21
Communication and Engagement · Northampton, Massachusetts
The Center for EcoTechnology helps people and businesses save energy and reduce waste. For over 40 years, we’ve offered proven advice and resources to save you money, make you more comfortable at home, and help your business perform better. We make green make sense! Working with partners throughout the region, we’re helping transform the way we live and work for a better community, economy, and environment – now and for the future. We provide practical solutions that save energy, materials and money and have a positive impact on our environment and community. We serve residents, business and communities in the areas of energy efficiency and waste reduction and through our retail store, EcoBuilding Bargains.
The Center for EcoTechnology is seeking five qualified recent college graduates for an 11-month paid fellowship position to work with our staff to carry out a range of activities related to climate action initiatives and educational programming in western Massachusetts. The EcoFellows will support CET’s initiatives to assist residents, students, institutions and businesses across the region in ongoing programs in energy efficiency, home energy services, renewable energy, and waste reduction through recycling, reuse and composting.
The EcoFellowship begins with a full orientation and in-depth trainings by CET professionals in subjects related to above programs, professional development exploring a variety of environmental topics throughout the fellowship and bi-weekly mentoring sessions. EcoFellows are offered in-depth career development support during the fellowship.
EcoFellows will be based in CET’s Northampton office, with travel expected between CET locations and into local communities.
EcoFellows work cross-departmentally, but are given specific areas of focus:
- Communications – including social media, video production, graphic design, and content generation
- Community Outreach & Engagement – including tabling, presentations, educational outreach, and data tracking and reporting
- Building Science – including shadowing energy-efficiency projects, attending professional trainings, and generating content for external communications and case studies.
- Program Operations – including data tracking, regional waste-reduction programs, and shadowing waste and energy specialists
- We are looking for creative and energetic college graduates (bachelor degree required) with an interest in energy efficiency, renewable energy technologies, climate change, recycling and resource conservation. Previous experience through volunteering, internships and/or professional work is required.
- Commitment to the entire Fellowship program, from August 10, 2020 to June 30, 2021, is required. EcoFellows have a graduation ceremony on Saturday, June 27.
- Fellows work a flexible schedule (40 hours/week) that requires some evening and weekend hours as needed.
- Computer skills required, experience in creative uses of social media and/or graphic design preferred.
- Driver’s license and reliable, insured transportation is required.
- Ability to lift and move 30lb will be required as necessary for certain placements.
- Background checks and drug testing will be required for all positions.
Depending upon the placement, must be able to perform physical tasks including but not limited to: Standing, walking, and sitting for extended periods of time, reading and recording information on handwritten forms and computer screens, lifting and carrying up to 30 pounds, navigating in unfamiliar locations, climbing stairs, and working in warm and cold environments.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary: Pays $14/hour, with an additional $2,000 bonus at the completion of the program.
- Benefits: Health Insurance; paid sick, holiday and vacation; 403(b), supplies and mileage reimbursement
- Professional Development: Two-week orientation; monthly professional development opportunities, opportunity to attend conferences, networking and career development
Application Process: Rolling applications are accepted until close of business day, Friday, February 14.
- Initial interviews are conducted through March 1 by phone.
- Second interviews will be scheduled throughout March. In-person interviews are strongly suggested, but can be done by Skype if necessary.
Offers: Position placements will be offered by early-April
Placement: August 10, 2020 to June 30, 2021
Graduation: Saturday, June 27, 2021
CET is an equal opportunity employer and provider. Diverse applicants are encouraged to apply. You may include military service assignments and any verified work performed on a volunteer basis.