Full-Time Food and Agriculture Campaigner
Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for five decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment. Our current campaigns focus on promoting clean energy and solutions to climate change, ensuring the food we eat and products we use are sustainable and safe for our health and the environment, and protecting marine ecosystems and the people who live and work near them. This work is carried out by our team of staff in our Berkeley, California and Washington, D.C. offices.
Friends of the Earth’s Food and Agriculture program works to rapidly transition our food system to one that is regenerative, healthy, and just. We seek three fundamental shifts in our food system: from industrial and chemical-intensive to ecologically regenerative; from corporate-controlled to democratically governed; and from a system that embodies the deepest inequities in our society to one that advances social justice and fulfills the needs of all eaters now and into the future. We achieve success through a systems-based approach that weaves together market change and policy advocacy supported by intersectional organizing, cutting-edge science, and strategic communications.
We are seeking to hire a talented and dedicated individual to support our Food and Agriculture program’s Emerging Technology Campaign. Our campaign aims to protect our health and environment from the risks posed by genetically engineered food and products rapidly entering the food system and environment ahead of adequate safety assessment and regulation. We do this via markets and policy advocacy, coalition building, organizing, and education of policymakers, companies, and the public. We also advance equitable organic and ecologically regenerative farming systems that are inherently healthier and pose fewer risks for people and the planet. This position will be based in our Washington, D.C. office with a possible remote option.
- Help design and implement strategic market and policy campaigns together with the Emerging Technology Program Manager, Communications and Membership teams and other stakeholders.
- Develop and demonstrate expertise on both domestic and international policy and market trends related to genetic engineering, food, and agriculture.
- Educate policymakers, the public, and other stakeholders to advance campaign objectives.
- Represent Friends of the Earth at public events and in media interviews to support campaign objectives.
- Work with the Emerging Technology Program Manager, Food and Agriculture Program Director, and other stakeholders to support fundraising as needed.
- Support online and offline organizing of Friends of the Earth’s base to support campaign objectives.
- Coordinate and organize events and actions such as rallies, petition deliveries, panel discussions, and weeks of action.
- Collaborate with allies and coalitions in support of our campaigns.
- Engage and train activists and volunteers.
Research & Writing
- Conduct research and analysis to develop reports and articles, factsheets, action alerts, and other campaign materials to educate and engage our membership, decision makers, allies, opinion leaders, the press, and the public.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years of experience in campaigning, organizing, and/or policy advocacy (not limited to environmental topics).
- A demonstrated commitment to environmental, social, and racial justice.
- Excellent written communication skills and comfort with presenting material to a wide range of audiences, including the public, the press, businesses, and government officials.
- Working knowledge and understanding of legislative and executive branch processes.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a fast-moving and results-oriented team, with a diverse group of coalition partners, and in a changing environment.
- Ability to travel locally, regionally, and nationally, once conditions allow.
- All candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. FOE does not sponsor any employment related visas.
- Interest in and understanding of agriculture and food systems.
- Ability to balance and successfully complete a wide range of activities including advocacy, research, communications, policy development, and organizing.
- A strategic mindset that grasps opportunities in both short-term and long-term contexts.
- Advanced in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Please be sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.
How to ApplyPlease apply through Link: https://foe.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=31
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405