Full-Time Farm Manager
We are an ever-evolving farm made up of vineyard, fruit orchards, olive orchards and vegetable gardens in St. Helena, CA. We are newly putting practices in place throughout the land that we hope will lead to optimal soil health, maximum carbon sequestration, and a balanced, thriving ecosystem. As we move into 100% organic, regenerative farming we are looking for someone who is open-minded, passionate about land-stewardship, team-oriented and eager to learn. This person should have some experience in biodynamic and/or regenerative farming so that she/he can help with planning and implementation of new practices. This person will help in all aspects of production, harvest, land maintenance and management, composting operations, livestock management (only chickens and ducks for now, working on integrating sheep for holistic planned grazing and shearing), farm administration, team management and other daily tasks and long-term projects.
In addition to feeding family, friends and neighbors we are working on a donation program for the food we grow as well as an internship program. The new addition of 40 acres to this land, adjacent to the current property is currently a blank canvas in which we are developing biodynamic orchards and gardens. The farm director will be involved in implementing this plan with the rest of the team, the owner and the biodynamic designer. Responsibilities do not extend to the vineyards but will be in tandem with vineyard management, olive orchard management and the landscaping team.
Position involves working with farm owner and team to develop and implement long-term regenerative plan for the entire property, prioritizing daily activities with the head gardener, property manager and various consultants and working closely with a small team to make sure all systems are working symbiotically.
40-45 hours per week, 5 days a week, 7am-4pm
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Keep detailed records of yields, food donated, changes in crops, inputs used on all crops, observations on which crops do well and less successful ones
- Oversee and contribute to data collection on trial areas of the garden and orchards to keep track of techniques being used and results
- Work on crop rotation plan with the team (we should always be one year in advance with preliminary plan)
- Create schedule for ordering seeds/plants/trees, planting, and harvesting in advance of each planting season
- Organize the greenhouse and sheds
- Create budgets for the farm and keep records of all expenses. Responsible for staying on budget.
- Create project timelines, budgets and plans
- Daily farm chores shared by the team include; harvesting, preparing soil for planting, watering and irrigation, weeding, moving chicken trailers for grazing, gathering eggs and assisting in creating grazing schedule, pruning fruit trees, stocking and organizing the produce fridge, checking and turning the compost piles, packing produce for donation, food delivery to food banks
- Other activities as designated by farm owner and head gardener.
Education & Experience:
- English required, some Spanish is desirable but not required.
- Valid drivers license
- Healthy physical condition and ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Experience using and basic maintenance of farm tools and equipment, including tractor, saw, shovel, and other implements.
- Experience in biodynamic organic farming, permaculture or regenerative farming is required. Education in this area is helpful but not required.
- 2 years experience working on a farm is required, with at least one year in a managerial/leadership role
- Good organization and attention to detail
How to ApplyPlease email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and cover letter.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405