Full-Time Farm Crew Member
Located on the backside of the Big Sur Santa Lucia mountain range, tucked onto a loamy shelf of Oak studded savannahs and fertile soil, 10 minutes away from the quaint Carmel Valley Village is an upstart organic farm looking for crew members to assist in the next phases of growth. Over the last 2 years during the pandemic we have transformed a blank canvas of a horse ranch into a highly diverse farm, orchard, ranch, and garden space. We have set up the core infrastructure and enterprises and now we are looking for passionate, focused, thoughtful, and hard-working individuals to join our team and grow the healthiest and most delicious produce possible in the world with organic and regenerative growing methods.
We offer year round employment, competitive pay starting at $24/hr., and a generous benefits package. This position is Mon – Fri, 7:00am – 3:30pm. The Farm Crew Member will report to and work closely with the Farm Manager for the collaborative success of the farm to achieve its goals. The farm’s goals are primarily two fold:
- To produce a large diversity of high-quality, organically grown, clean, nutrient-dense foods and other farm products to meet the ongoing demands of the property owners and future farm clientele.
- To maintain a beautiful ranch and farm property. Not only are we creating amazing products, but we are creating an amazing onsite farming experience.
Our farm cultivates a diverse variety of crops including vegetables, flowers, fruits, olives, mushrooms, eggs, value-added products, and also has a diversity of livestock. We grow within a variety of different methods, from bio-intensive, well manicured market garden beds, to diverse sprawling perennial food forests with tractor cultivated ally crops between the young orchard rows. We are in the process of developing an onsite processing kitchen, world-class greenhouse, mechanical shop, and wash pack facility. With our onsite vermicomposting efforts, static aerated compost piles, and windrow compost management, we strive to provide as much biology as we can to support our soil food web from onsite efforts. The farm is truly a diverse ecosystem, supported by hedgerows, owl boxes, beetle banks, raptor perches, and a menagerie of perennial production plants and farm staff. Core to the staff and the farm’s growth and goals of perfection, is the farm crew members that are relied upon to execute a variety of detail oriented tasks that ensure the achievement of the farm’s goals mentioned above.
All employees must exercise good judgment and discretion in handling confidential matters as the farm is also home to several residents. The position requires high-energy, excellent communication skills and the ability to keep up with a busy and diverse schedule. He/she will honor and uphold the privacy of the property owners and property residences, and must be honest and act with integrity. This role requires the ability to work independently as well as part of a tight-knit team.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- seed starting, planting, fertilizing, pruning, training, hoeing, weeding, and transplanting of crops
- harvesting and inspecting of crops by hand
- processing, washing, packing, and delivering of produce and farm products in a manner to ensure it meets farm’s standards
- irrigation repairs
- moving of plants, soil, compost and other materials with wheelbarrows, etc.
- running errands as necessary to support the team
- helping out with the overall upkeep and presentation of the ranch
- performing basic ranch maintenance tasks and simple repairs
- assisting with the care of the farm livestock as needed
- assisting with food preparation and preservation efforts as needed
- participate in all required meetings in order to create a safe and coordinated work environment
- minimum 3 years experience in professional farming or professional gardening
- familiar with organic production methods and a basic knowledge of plants
- capable of working in a fast-paced outdoor environment
- have a valid driver’s license
- capable of physical labor in all weather
- able to comfortably lift 40 lbs
- bilingual (Spanish and English) preferred
- Paid vacation starting at 15 days per year and paid sick leave
- Matching 401k up to 6%
- Medical, Dental, and Vision, insurance for entire family
- Life Insurance
- Daily farm lunches provided
- End of year bonus
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Uniforms and laundry services provided