Full-Time Executive Director
MassEnergize seeks an energetic individual with a demonstrated commitment to addressing climate change to serve as our Executive Director. This is an exciting opportunity to empower local leaders to make a measurable difference on the most existential issue of our time. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for executing MassEnergize’s vision, leading and managing its volunteers and staff, coordinating fundraising efforts, and strategically scaling our work. They will be the public voice of MassEnergize and engage with our communities, funders, and partner organizations.
MassEnergize is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in all our work to address the climate emergency. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
MassEnergize works with community organizers and local leaders to scale both household and town climate actions. We believe that household-level climate action, propelled at scale, is critical for reaching our climate goals and that local leaders are in a unique position to deeply change and empower their communities.
MassEnergize fills a critical niche working with community-based organizations, municipal energy committee members, and town staff, helping them to roll out initiatives to achieve their climate goals. The demand for our help has never been greater. We have grown from working with four communities in 2019 to now supporting community leaders in 20 towns, cities, and faith-based organizations. In 2021, in recognition of the need for local climate action to reach state goals, MassEnergize was awarded state funding to support this work.
We offer three core tools to help local leaders amplify their impact: 1) a Community of Practice to share strategies and support collaboration amongst communities, 2) a customizable software platform to promote local climate actions and track progress against local climate goals, and 3) community engagement playbooks (e.g., running events, outreach strategies, social media engagement). Learn more about us at MassEnergize.org
The Executive Director will work with our motivated, innovative, and supportive core team and passionate local leaders who are driving real change.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with preference for those received by April 30, 2022.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic direction and relationships
- Develop and implement operational plans, policies, and goals that further the MassEnergize strategic objectives
- Advise our board in setting strategic direction
- Grow our efforts to partner with organizations working directly with environmental justice communities, to learn from them if/how we can make their work more impactful.
- Nurture a diverse range of strategic partnerships
- Fundraise to support and to expand the annual and long-term budget
- Manage donor relationships, including engagement and appreciation
- Research and assist in applications for grant opportunities and in fundraising campaigns
- Record donations and run reports as needed for the bookkeeper, Treasurer and core team
- Community engagement efforts
- Represent MassEnergize at speaking engagements
- Convene monthly meetings of our Community of Practice of 15+ communities and organizations
- Guide and facilitate sharing of information and best practices between communities
- Educate our board, staff and community leaders to facilitate climate solutions that actively redress historic inequities, and that make our cities and towns more just and inclusive
- Manage training of new community members to use the MassEnergize web platform
- Program management
- Provide comprehensive support for day-to-day activities of MassEnergize
- Manage and delegate tasks to 4-6 core volunteers and 1-2 interns
- Alert Board and President to potential problems and work cooperatively with the President, Board, and relevant stakeholders to ensure prompt resolutions
- Prioritize development of new materials and software offerings based on communities’ needs and preferences
- Manage content generation and project management efforts such as social media, playbooks and web content
- Several years of experience working directly with environmental or climate-related issues in a non-profit (preferred), public or private sector setting. Comparable experience will also be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities working with boards, organizations, or coalitions
- Success in fundraising including grant funding and/or individual donor gifts
- Staff and budget management experience
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Self-initiation of tasks and the ability to succeed with minimal oversight
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional oral and written communications
- Solutions-focused, extremely collaborative personality
- Proficiency in or ability to self-teach web platforms and software such as Google apps, Mailchimp, etc.
- Experience working with under-served/front line communities
- Experience with grassroots organizing, public policy, or advocacy
- Marketing experience
- Training and communication experience
- Experience working with volunteers
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language
- Experience using one or more popular social media platforms
- Experience with web technologies, such as Google Ads, Google Analytics, Slack, GitHub, Canva or other graphic software, CRM systems, WordPress
Hours and Compensation
We offer flexible work hours and remote work with occasional in-person meetings. Some evening and weekend work hours are required.
Hours: 32-40 hours per week
Annual Salary: $60,000-$80,000 depending on experience and hours/week
Starting: May-June 2022
Location: Massachusetts – primarily virtual workplace but ability to be in Metro Boston area as much as several times per week.
How to Apply
- MassEnergize is an equal opportunity employer seeking to diversify its staff and leadership team. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives are encouraged to apply. Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
- MassEnergize does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405