Full-Time Executive Director
About Nexus for Development
Founded in 2009, Nexus for Development (Nexus) is an international not-for-profit organization registered in Singapore with an operational team in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Our mission is to drive access to finance in developing economies across Southeast Asia to increase sustainable energy and water resource development, advance climate positive solutions, and scale local implementers.
Leveraging our experience with carbon finance, we have evolved over the last decade to identify market gaps and develop appropriate services and pilot funds as solutions. The impetus that drives these initiatives is our commitment to providing useful and affordable financial products and services that meet the ecosystem’s needs.
We are a small team of professionals with diverse backgrounds in finance, engineering, credit analysis, international development, marketing, and operations working together to deliver solutions, create value and achieve our mission.
Specifically, our work focuses on the following areas:
- Financing facilities for clean energy, clean water and sanitation solutions
- Technical assistance for carbon certification
- Carbon asset management
Nexus seeks an Executive Director (ED) to be based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. This is an exciting opportunity to lead an innovative organization creating real change for clean energy, water and sanitation access. The successful candidate will lead the Nexus team, set the strategic focus, drive growth, and identify new opportunities for increasing the organisation ́s impact and relevance.
Nexus has evolved from its origin as a fully-subsidized organization to reliance on revenue-generating activities to fund operations. This transition has brought on a range of strategic and financial challenges that the new ED will need to tackle with clear strategic thinking, a view for identifying new opportunities, and a hands-on, engaged and practical attitude towards the Board, the team and the partners.
The ED reports to the Board of Directors, which is comprised of individuals representing both Nexus’ members and external organizations. The ED also sits on the Board of Directors of the Pioneer Facility, a debt fund launched by Nexus for Development.
- Develop annual plans and near-term strategies based on Nexus’s assets and experience considering both the opportunity for the greatest impact and optimal financial performance;
- Develop and nurture a strong team of professionals to deliver the strategy and the mission;
- Lead and drive fundraising and marketing efforts and develop current and future business opportunities;
- Position Nexus as a leader in the provision of access to innovative financing instruments, technical assistance for carbon certification and carbon asset management;
- Manage the budget to ensure proper and effective use of funds;
- Build and enhance strategic relationships with donors, investors and key partners, and promote the organisation at events and through other communications channels to expand business opportunities.
- Extensive practical experience leading an organization or team;
- Broad experience in business strategy, business development, marketing, financial management, and human resource management;
- Experience in renewable energy, climate change mitigation, environmental finance, water, and or other related sectors;
- Skilled at recruiting, developing, leading and managing individuals and small multicultural teams with an ability to foster a positive environment;
- A skilled communicator with the ability to communicate effectively with the team and Board, as well as with donors and investors;
- Proactive and solutions-oriented with a positive attitude;
- An established network of contacts with development agencies, private foundations, and impact investors (preferred);
- Knowledge of the Non-Governmental Organisation sector, its characteristics and challenges would be an advantage;
- Experience working in Cambodia and or South East Asia (preferred).
- Role: Executive Director
- Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia. 20-25% travel time
- Reports: Board of Directors
- Term: 2-year full-time contract, with potential to extend
- Remuneration: ~50k USD per annum
- Benefits: 40 days of annual leave (includes public holidays), training allowance, an annual flight home per year of work, group personal accident insurance and travel insurance.