Full-Time Director of State Policy
Title: Director of State Policy
Supervisor: Chris Miller, President
Location: Warrenton PEC Office
Job Classification: Full Time – exempt
Geographic Focus: PEC Region/statewide
The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization that has proudly promoted and protected the natural resources, rural economy, history and beauty of the Virginia Piedmont since 1972. PEC works with area residents to weigh in on important land use and policy decisions, conserve land, protect air and water quality, celebrate historic resources, build smart transportation networks, promote sustainable energy choices, restore wildlife habitat and improve people’s access to nature.
PEC’s Director of State Policy represents the organization in policy matters at the regional and state level. The director is responsible for working with all PEC staff to ensure our positions are accurately represented and, when necessary, assist staff in developing and pursuing policies and legislative efforts at the local, regional and state level.
The director will maintain relationships with governmental representatives, elected officials, our lobbyists and the partner organizations important to advancing PEC’s mission. At the state level, those relationships include the legislators serving the organization’s 9-county region and important senior leaders of the committees that most impact the organization’s work, the Administration and important secretariats (Natural Resources, Agriculture and Forestry and Transportation). The director is expected to coordinate with and serve and/or staff the appropriate working groups of the Virginia Conservation Network and to work with individual partners on statewide and regional campaigns and legislative efforts that further the mission of the organization.
In support of PEC staff, the director will routinely meet with relevant policy leads and department heads to identify and discuss policy issues and trends in our region. The director will organize discussions with relevant staff related to current issues (e.g. affordable housing, transit-oriented development, regional transportation or land conservation funding) for the purpose of developing and advancing policy solutions for our region and to assist in the identification of legislation that may be necessary to accomplish organizational goals.
Examples of activities include:
- Monitoring trends at the regional and state level in anticipation of future challenges
- Assist the President and relevant staff in the development of PEC response to projects or issues of regional or statewide import.
- Representing the organization on technical advisory committees and workgroups at the state level.
- Representing the organization on legislative matters, serving as the organization’s primary lobbyist for the Virginia General Assembly
- Tracking important policy and regulatory discussions and commenting on behalf of the organization.
- Managing staff associated with policy or as determined by the President.
- Working directly with allied organizations to organize the public around campaigns, policies and outcomes supportive of the PEC mission
- Regularly updating PEC Board members and staff on land use, conservation, energy, water quality and transportation policy matters being discussed at the state level.
- Collaborating with PEC communications and advancement staff to secure appropriate funding and highlight the benefits of PEC’s regional and statewide work.
The Director of State Policy reports to the President. This position will be based at PEC’s headquarters in Warrenton, Virginia, though remote work possibilities are possible.
- Bachelor’s degree and 7+ years work experience. Graduate degree in law, public policy, political science or relevant field preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of the legislative process and experience in lobbying is preferred.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills, both written and oral, including ability to write, edit, and proofread written materials for use in communicating with the PEC Board of Directors, PEC staff, PEC members, and the public at large.
- Ability to organize, coordinate and manage diverse activities and deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a diverse constituency including elected officials, non-profit representatives and individual citizens with a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives.
- Knowledge and experience with Google Suite and Microsoft Office productivity software.
- Requires minimal supervision.
- Willingness to travel to Richmond during the legislative session and as needed in communicating with the administration and state agencies
- Valid driver’s and reliable transportation required.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Salary Range $85,000-$110,000
PEC offers an outstanding and robust benefits package including:
- Two health plans (83% employer paid premium for employee only plan, 73% employer paid for added dependents)
- Short & Long Term Disability*
- Group Term Life*
- Accident, Critical Illness & Hospital Indemnity insurances*
- HSA account (with employer match up to $750 per year)
- FSA accounts (health & dependent)
- 403(b) pension plan with employer contribution after 1 year of service with 100% vesting from day one
- 12 paid holidays
- PTO leave from 15-24 days per year based on longevity and accrued each pay period
- 1 day per year of paid leave to volunteer at another non-profit or charitable cause
- Salary Continuation Leave for employee or family illness – from 2 to 8 weeks fully paid leave eligibility every 24 months, depending on length of service
- Paid Bereavement, Jury Duty and Military Service Training leave
- Cell Phone Reimbursement up to $75 per month
- Travel Expense Reimbursement
- Hybrid work environment and Flexible Work Schedules
- Professional Development support
- Payment for relevant licenses & professional membership fees.
*Indicates that this insurance premium is 100% paid by PEC for employee’s coverage.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Resume reviews begin immediately.
The Piedmont Environmental Council is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge of our organization. Diversity of experience and skills, combined with passion, is key to our organizational identity.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted upon your acceptance.
How to ApplyInterested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume reviews begin immediately.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405