Full-Time Director of Advertising
Currently is a weather service for the climate emergency. Our mission is to cultivate timely and accurate weather information that supports community resilience and safety. We work to illuminate possible paths toward a liberated, habitable and joyful future for people and the environment alike. Currently publishes daily weather newsletters in 20+ cities around the world, along with original journalism focusing on climate justice. Our in-depth weather forecasting services also provide timely meteorological information to individuals, businesses, and nonprofits.
We additionally have an emerging community platform Project Mushroom, which aims to support and amplify voices in the climate and justice space. Project Mushroom has on-boarded over 10k users, and is growing exponentially each week. The platform provides a social network for community members to organize and share ideas, and provides tools to help publish newsletters and podcasts for hundreds of creators.
But we’re just getting started. Our new Director of Advertising will help us reach a much larger audience around the world.
We’re seeking a motivated, climate conscious individual to help us grow and expand our mission and business. This individual will help us generate business opportunities both on the direct advertising and sponsorship side. We’re a mission-driven organization that has strict guidelines for who we accept as advertisers and customers: groups that we feel contribute in a meaningful way to a world without climate change. The successful candidate will help us apply this mission to attract advertisers in dozens of local markets around the world, in dozens of industries.
We’ve seen massive surges of interest in our services in advance of major weather events, so the successful candidate must be able to work cross-functionally with our editorial, partnerships, development, and weather teams to anticipate opportunities and help audiences discover our services when they are most valuable.
Find out more at: Currently
- Experience conducting outreach and lead generation to build new relationships with potential advertisers across digital media
- 4-plus years of work experience in advertising sales, especially in a start-up or small business environment, specifically in digital media (newsletter, online ads, podcasts)
- Experience managing CRMs (FreshSales preferred), and tracking sales pipelines and opportunities
- Experience with ad operations (placing ads, implementing tracking, etc.)
- Ability to identify, qualify, negotiate, close, and advertising deals across a variety of industries including building relationships with existing ad networks
- Ability to own and manage many overlapping responsibilities
- Outstanding organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Knowledge and contacts in the climate and sustainability industry is a plus
- We are a justice-focused weather service, and a successful candidate intuitively understands how weather affects every part of our lives — and how climate change creates and exacerbates inequalities in access to life-saving weather information
- Research, identify, contact and build relationships with new advertisers and potential sponsors that are aligned with Currently’s climate-forward mission via cold outreach and networking.
- Identify and partner with ad networks to find placements across our content distribution channels
- Organize meetings with advertising decision markers to identify needs and initiate next steps for building ongoing partnerships
- Drafting, conceptualizing, and pitching new sales campaigns and ideas within our growing team
- Execute ad campaigns and manage advertising calendar, including coordinating with editorial team to produce sponsored web content and paid social media posts
- Deliver breakdowns on ad performance analytics, providing extraordinary customer service during and after the sales process
- Maintain a testing backlog and continuously improve and optimize performance at all sales funnel stages
- Stay current with new trends and best practices within advertising and marketing
- Produce insight reports on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis for data-driven decision-making, improving performance and identifying opportunities
- Work cross functionally with our meteorologists, editorial, and partnership teams to ensure messaging and published media aligns with Currently’s core values and mission
Remote, work will focus on North America
Starting salary: $70,000-80,000 USD/yr base with opportunity for advancement + performance-based incentives + equity options in our fast-growing startup.
This position comes with a generous benefits package including health care, retirement, and unlimited paid time off. Joining us means you’ll be a core part of a team with a singular opportunity to make a difference in the world at a critical moment in history.
This will be a remote position, and we’ll work together to make sure your needs are heard and respected. You are not required to be a US citizen or be based in the US.
Deadline to apply: February 28, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
How to Apply
- To apply, please click here. Women, people of color, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Deadline to apply: February 28, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.