Full-Time Associate Director of Outreach and Engagement, Building Innovation Hub
Associate Director of Outreach and Engagement, Building Innovation Hub
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) seeks a seasoned professional to lead, create, and implement a content development and industry outreach strategy to support the on-going growth and long-term success of the District’s new Building Innovation Hub (Hub).
The Hub helps building industry professionals in and around Washington, DC create and operate high-performing buildings with the goal of preparing the community for the District’s Building Energy Performance Standards. It is a project of the Institute for Market Transformation (IMT), a nationally recognized nonprofit organization that specializes in driving demand for high performance buildings.
The Hub connects local building industry professionals and provides information, tools, and educational programming. The goal of the Hub is to meet the current needs of the building industry while simultaneously pushing the industry towards the innovative solutions needed to build and operate high performance buildings.
Role of the Associate Director
The Associate Director will support the Hub’s Director in working with the local building community to identify and overcome barriers to achieving high-performance buildings in the District. The Associate Director will work closely with IMT’s communications team around promotion of Hub resources and events. The ideal candidate will have worked in the local real estate or building design, construction, service or management community; been constrained by these barriers in their own work; gained hard-won insight into these barriers; formed ideas for overcoming the barriers; and be passionate about this exceptional opportunity to catalyze solutions to benefit the whole community.
The Associate Director will create and oversee execution of a content strategy that includes resource development, educational programming, blogs, and newsletter content and will serve as principal author and editor of Hub publications, newsletters, articles, tools, and website content. Additionally, the Associate Director will oversee vendors and industry experts hired to assist in content and program development.
To ensure the successful delivery of content the Associate Director will coordinate with industry partners for co-branded events and/or content development and work to develop an outreach strategy that ensures that all target audiences are reached.
The Associate Director will be responsible for ensuring that content and programming accelerate market transformation across the District’s building industry–enabling the District to meet its green building and climate commitments and contribute to the success of DC policies including new building codes and the Building Energy Performance Standards.
IMT staff will provide communications and marketing service support of the Associate Director and the Hub. The Associate Director will report to the Hub’s Director.
- Assist in working with and managing the Hub’s Advisory Board.
- Contribute to the short- and long-term strategies and vision for the Hub.
- Facilitate conversations and work with a variety of external stakeholders, including government and local building industry organizations, to incorporate and accommodate diverse perspectives and priorities to inform Hub offerings and outreach efforts.
- Develop strong familiarity with DC policies including building codes and the Building Energy Performance Standards.
- Coordinate potential offerings and services with related organizations and agencies such as the Department of Energy & Environment, DC Sustainable Energy Utility (DCSEU), the DC Green Bank, the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA), and other local building industry organizations.
- Engage and build strong relationships with local real estate professional organizations, companies, individuals and attend industry events to promote the Hub.
- Work to build the Hub as a recognizable brand, speaking at events and to reporters.
- Serve as a principal author and editor of Hub publications, newsletters, resources, tools, and web site.
- Oversee internal staff members and/or external partners to ensure successful program and resource development.
- 5+ years of experience in design, operations, ownership, development, or improvement of buildings or in energy efficiency, green building, real estate, or finance, in and around DC.
- Strong familiarity with the local building industry and market trends.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of building industry stakeholders.
- Be an excellent communicator with the ability to understand, persuade and translate among a wide range of professionals.
- Be able to quickly develop familiarity with relevant fields to tailor the Hub’s messages to those audiences and constructively receive their feedback.
- Results-driven and solutions-oriented.
- Proven record of accomplishment in establishing and maintaining partnerships and collaborative relationships and forums.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, able to synthesize and clearly articulate complex issues.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation.
- Demonstrated project management experience and prowess.
- Experience managing staff, consultants and/or projects.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, with a mission to catalyze demand for high-performing buildings. Achieving this vision requires market transformation through strategic interventions that remove barriers and to provide an easier path to an energy-efficient built environment. We work in partnership with businesses, policymakers, and environmental groups that are leading the future of energy efficiency. With over 20 years of experience, IMT has supported large-scale outcomes as a driver of important new practices and policies that benefit cities, businesses, the economy and the environment.
Headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, we provide a vibrant, collaborative and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. We empower our staff to constantly learn while achieving big goals, and have a great deal of fun along the way.
IMT values all types of diversity-including racial, ethnic, and gender–and is committed to promoting and fostering a diverse organization. IMT is an equal opportunity employer.