Full-Time Advancement Director
Columbia Land Trust is dedicated to conserving and caring for the lands, waters, and wildlife of the Columbia River region through sound science and strong relationships. In its first 31 years, Columbia Land Trust has permanently conserved more than 50,000 acres, an area equivalent to nine of Portland’s Forest Parks, and has restored thousands of acres for the benefit of both wildlife and local communities. Today, the Land Trust is nationally recognized as a leader in conservation.
The Advancement Director is a key leadership position within Columbia Land Trust who will be responsible for envisioning and overseeing fundraising and communications activities on behalf of the organization. The position provides a critical interface between the Conservation, Advancement and Administrative teams, the Executive Director, and the Board of Directors. The Advancement Director will build and lead a passionate and diverse team to support the implementation of our ambitious conservation strategy. We offer a competitive salary and a generous PTO and benefits package. We also invest in the professional development of our staff and encourage a growth mindset. We are seeking an Advancement Director who will:
- Provide the vision for how to grow our overall fundraising program to achieve our Conservation Agenda, with a particular emphasis on annual fund and individual giving;
- Hire, manage, and lead a diverse team of fundraising, communications, and donor relations staff
- Ensure the execution of strategies to bring the vision to reality;
- Oversee the Advancement Team (which includes Development and Communications) by understanding, engaging and training staff to meet the annual fundraising objectives of Columbia Land Trust.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide clear vision, supervisory leadership, and strategic direction for all aspects of Columbia Land Trust’s Advancement program, including development, marketing and communications, and donor relations.
- Supervise, engage and lead a professional team including: Development Associate, Database Associate, Communications Manager, Communications Associate and Events Manager.
- Participate in revision of the Conservation Agenda and ensure that strategic benchmarks are met
- Hire and lead Advancement team members to achieve organizational and individual development goals
- Ensure that departments, staff, and board are supported in issues related to fund development
- Uphold and advance our equity commitments
- Lead group and individual tours of Columbia Land Trust properties
Supporting Activities and Knowledge
- Develop knowledge on local and national issues to serve as an effective Land Trust spokesperson
- Engage with culturally diverse staff, donors, and members of the public in a manner that is welcoming and inclusive
- Communicate effectively using presentation, persuasion, and negotiation skills with employees and organization stakeholders
- Research and support best practices in all aspects of staff and board fundraising
- Ensure that systems are in place for effective donor research and cultivation processes; sophisticated database systems for tracking prospects, pledges, gifts, and grants; gift processing capabilities; donor acknowledgment and recognition programs; and correspondence records
- Make use of computer databases to record and track donor information
- Work collaboratively with a spirit of cooperation with the Advancement staff and Management Team
- Work with the Executive Director and Governance chair to assess current and anticipated needs related to board composition; identify and cultivate potential candidates
Columbia Land Trust expects applicants will have skills and experience relevant to the work listed above, or with similar work. However, applicants are not expected to have experience in all of these tasks in order to apply for the position. Columbia Land Trust is prepared to support the training necessary to ensure qualified candidates have the skills to safely and effectively accomplish the work. To thrive in this job, the qualified candidate will have the qualifications listed below.
- A background in development or organizational fundraising activities equivalent to 7 years, through either related experience or education/training. Applicants are encouraged to describe pertinent personal and professional experience
- The ability to work collaboratively in a team-based environment.
- The ability to craft multi-year, comprehensive fundraising and communications strategies or plans and to motivate and inspire people at all levels
- The ability to develop systems to track and adjust work plans and budgets as needed
- Intercultural competency, ability to interact with and compel a diverse array of individuals with diplomacy and respect, ability to lead diverse teams, commitment to equity and inclusion
- An interest in, or curiosity about, the nature of the Northwest and a desire to learn new skills and gain knowledge related to conservation
- Proficient written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, members of the public, and project partners in a variety of circumstances
- The ability to develop materials to support fundraising appeals.
- Competency with common computer programs, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- An ability to work productively with people from racially and culturally diverse backgrounds
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through personal learning, implementing work practices that support equity and inclusion, and willingness to support the Land Trust’s equity commitments
How to ApplyTo be considered for the Advancement Director position, please submit a statement of interest and resume to: https://wvdo-or.hiringthing.com/job/328205/advancement-director-columbia-land-trust. Please include the following in your statement of interest:
- A description of how your career has led you to this position and this work.
- How has your work within diversity, equity and inclusion influenced your fundraising?
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405