Full-Time Vice President for Engagement
This newly created position offers an exciting opportunity for an experienced marketing and development professional to join a leading forest conservation organization as it refreshes its brand, expands its visibility, and prepares for a capital campaign. The addition of this key role to Pacific Forest Trust’s leadership team is part of a broader drive to build capacity for the next phase of organizational growth and impact.
About Pacific Forest Trust
Pacific Forest Trust (PFT) works to change the way our forests are managed, financed and conserved, beyond reliance on timber and other fiber products. The organization is driven by its dedication to creating a society that values and pays for all the vital good that our forest ecosystems provide – wood, water, wildlife, wonder and a well-balanced climate.
PFT delivers landscape-scale forest conservation in the West and develops innovative incentives for forest conservation at the national level. This is done in ways that reward private landowners, boost local economies, and restore resilient forest ecosystems. PFT has pioneered the creation and implementation of economic incentives for ecosystem services—from conservation easements to carbon credits—and continues to lead innovation in this area.
Headquartered in the verdant Presidio of San Francisco, PFT is a group of savvy, entrepreneurial-minded scientists, ecologists, policy experts, business innovators, economists, outdoor enthusiasts and communicators. PFT has satellite offices in Sacramento and Mt. Shasta City, California, and Portland, Oregon. This position can be located in either Oregon or California, with travel throughout the region.
About the Opportunity
The VP for Engagement will be responsible for increasing PFT’s profile and audience, cultivating supporters’ interest in the organization and increasing philanthropic support. They will lead the organization in building a culture of philanthropy and in developing the associated organizational capacity. They will be responsible for leveraging organizational programs across marketing and fundraising platforms, particularly on issues of climate change, fire and forest management, natural water security, and the rebuilding of sustainable resource economies in rural front-line communities.
The position will lead all aspects of the engagement continuum from media and digital outreach to foundation, corporate and individual gift solicitation and stewardship. The VP Engagement will further clarify the organizational brand, developing/leveraging a compelling brand strategy and marketing the brand to ensure stronger target audience connections. They will lead in setting and achieving annual charitable fundraising goals – strengthening the team and infrastructure required to build and cultivate relationships and funding for long-term sustainability.
Serving as a key member of PFT’s management team, the VP Engagement will report to and work closely with the President and will staff the Development Committee of the Board of Directors. This position will supervise the Senior Development Manager and an Associate.
Major Areas of Responsibility
Senior Organizational Leadership
The VP for Engagement will:
- Serve as a key organizational leader and highly collaborative member of the management team, participating in:
- the development and implementation of organizational strategic plans
- the implementation of major initiatives
- setting and cultivating internal culture
- developing organizational budgets
- Play a lead role in determining the scale and scope of a capital campaign.
- Work closely with the President, Development Committee, and Board Chair to build a culture of philanthropy and philanthropic capabilities within the Board and across the organization.
- Represent PFT at networking events, conferences, etc.
Working with PFT’s President and Board, this position will lead the development and implementation of strategies necessary for the organization to meet and exceed its engagement and philanthropic goals.
- Expand the core and develop future audiences for the organization and lead pipeline development through media, marketing, prospecting, cultivation, and stewardship of donors.
- Work collaboratively with the organization’s leadership in developing and meeting targets for support from foundation and corporate giving, annual fund, special events, and planned giving.
- Lead the implementation of PFT’s brand positioning across media, marketing, communications, and fundraising messaging and materials.
- Oversee/implement marketing strategies, including digital marketing, social media, press and media outreach, events, etc.
- Lead PFT’s digital strategy, architecture, and brand presence, developing the digital roadmap that optimizes branding and engagement.
- Develop and lead a comprehensive, multi-year plan to increase donor engagement, grow annual donor support, and strengthen PFT’s fund development infrastructure.
- In partnership with executive management, develop and manage fundraising budgets, ensuring best practice use of analytics.
Infrastructure & Management
The VP will assess, refine, and strengthen PFT’s marketing and fundraising infrastructure and systems to achieve goals. They will build capacity and will have direct supervisory responsibilities:
- Manage direct reports, supporting them in their responsibilities and in ensuring a professionally challenging, productive, and enjoyable workplace.
- Ensure the hiring and management of talented, high-performing staff with a diverse array of marketing and development skills.
- Establish goals and accountabilities for staff, providing regular feedback and performance reviews.
- At least ten years of marketing, media, strategic communications or development experience, at least five of which were in a management role.
- Proven experience in engagement, solicitation, and stewardship of donors for five- and six-figure gifts and above.
- Demonstrated ability to create and successfully execute a multi-strategy, multi-year fund development plan through direct effort as well as managing and mentoring a high performing marketing and development team.
- Understanding and appreciation of media cultivation and outreach; experience with media preferred.
- Both broad and deep marketing and fundraising experience, employing a wide array of strategies to support a diverse suite of programs (e.g., brand management, public relations, digital platforms and outreach, major gift, foundation, corporate, annual fund, special events, planned giving, social media).
- Well-honed strategic and operational planning skills.
- Strength in coaching, supporting, and collaborating with board members.
- High level of familiarity and comfort with data analysis and the use of metrics as management tools: proven ability to forecast accurately and manage to budget.
- Deep familiarity with best practices in moving donors up the ladder of giving, and ability to implement and manage a multi-level donor engagement and stewardship plan.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising, mentoring and developing staff.
- (Preferred) Experience raising funds for land conservation and/or environmental causes.
- (Preferred) Expertise in legacy and planned giving program development.
- Commitment to the mission of Pacific Forest Trust.
- Strong motivation to produce results.
- Ability and readiness to lead, plan, and strategize as well as to implement and execute work as part of a small, growing organization.
- Collaborative management style, ability to train and engage boards, appreciation for inclusionary processes.
- Strong planning orientation with the ability to be both tactical and strategic
- Valid drivers license and ability to travel up to 25% time
- Commitment to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture
How to ApplyTo apply, please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405