Full-Time Senior Consultant (Location Flexible in California)
VEIC is a sustainable energy company on a mission to generate the energy solutions the world needs. For more than 30 years, VEIC has worked with governments, utilities, foundations, and businesses across North America to design and deploy clean-energy services spanning energy efficiency, building decarbonization, transportation electrification, and a clean and flexible grid.
VEIC seeks a Senior Consultant to lead our team’s work on the California Technology and Equipment for Clean Heating (TECH) initiative. This 4-year program is aimed at identifying and implementing pathways to electrify residential buildings statewide.
VEIC administers three major sustainable energy programs and provides full-service consulting and engineering services. VEIC is nationally recognized for originating pilots and programs that optimize energy use, reduce energy burdens for low-income customers, and advance emerging technologies and innovative program models. VEIC’s work to date will produce lifetime customer energy savings of over 42 million MMBTUs and fossil fuel consumption cost savings of over $4.2 billion. Its on-the-ground energy efficiency and renewable energy services have prevented the release of over 22 million metric tons of CO2 into the earth’s atmosphere.
VEIC administers Efficiency Vermont, the nation’s first statewide “energy efficiency utility,” the District of Columbia Sustainable Energy Utility (DCSEU), and Efficiency Smart in Columbus, Ohio. VEIC is headquartered in Winooski, Vermont, with offices in Washington, DC, and Columbus, Ohio, and remote staff locations across North America and Europe.
About this Opportunity
The Senior Consultant will have the opportunity to establish VEIC’s on-the-ground presence in California through leadership of our work on the TECH program. The program will use a multi-pronged strategy to electrify residential buildings statewide, including strong coordination with HVAC contractors and equipment suppliers; identification of existing programs and financing products that could offset the costs of electrification; and piloting new approaches and technologies. VEIC is a subcontractor to Energy Solutions, an employee owned company we have partnered with for the last four years on a variety of projects. VEIC’s role on the TECH team is to provide cross-cutting strategy leadership, policy and regulatory support, and oversee the implementation of pilots and “quick start” grants.
High priorities for the Senior Consultant are:
- Quickly developing excellent and trusting relationships with Energy Solutions and the other six subcontractor organizations on the TECH team by working collaboratively to achieve the project goals.
- Establishing strong connections with the VEIC team supporting TECH. We have a highly motivated and dedicated staff of experts in a variety of areas that will provide important support to the TECH project, working remotely from Vermont and other locations.
- Understanding the complex and changing energy efficiency landscape in California and how VEIC can most effectively contribute.
- Identifying key California stakeholders important to develop and maintain relationships with for project success and future business development opportunities.
- Establishing and maintaining a strong relationship with the California Public Utilities Commission staff, as well as a strong understanding of the regulatory process and opportunities for input relevant to the TECH project and goals.
- Orchestrating the various VEIC work streams for the TECH program to effectively and efficiently coordinate the many tasks and team members to achieve short-term project success, while also leveraging key learnings and relationships to advance market transformation in the long term.
Desired credentials / profile of the ideal candidate
- Bachelor’s degree (advanced degree preferred) and 8+ years of experience working with statewide energy efficiency, decarbonization, or other distributed energy resource energy programs and/or policies, energy program regulators and/or policymakers, and/or emerging technologies and program design approaches.
- Excellent strategic thinking skills, with some demonstrated experience in effective application of those skills to high-level work assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage all aspects of large, complex projects – including client interaction, maintaining project budgets, and overseeing all aspects of project work.
- Strong relationship development and management skills, along with an eye for new business opportunities and how they could be pursued.
Skills and experience
Mission-driven, passionate, committed
- VEIC’s mission is core to all we do. Passion and personal commitment to that mission and to energy decarbonization principles and methods are essential.
- The TECH program is large and complex and will require strong strategic thinking skills to identify the best ways to advance project goals within the budget and timeline allowed. Additionally, this person will play a large role in determining what future initiatives, policy changes, or programming are needed after TECH ends.
Networker, relationship builder, communicator
- Highly skilled networker and relationship builder, ideally with existing California-based network and/or excellent understanding of key players in decarbonization.
- Clear and persuasive communicator who can describe the goals of the TECH project to a variety of audiences and establish buy-in from key stakeholder groups.
Candidates must submit a resume and a cover letter that describe how their qualifications and experience match the needs and mission of VEIC. VEIC will accept applications until the position has been filled. Apply at veic.org/careers.
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the framework of the organization’s annual operating budget. VEIC is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer that encourages applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds and cultures, particularly candidates of color and / or candidates who know and / or represent the communities VEIC serves.
How to ApplyAll application submissions are confidential and may be submitted via the VEIC website at www.veic.org/careers. Any questions may be sent to Chesley Schamroth at email@example.com.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405