Full-Time Managing Director
Managing Director Appointment
Planet Indonesia is an award-winning grassroots oriented not-for-profit dedicated to the conservation of our earth’s ecosystems. We conserve at-risk ecosystems through village-led partnerships. Our model focuses on creating the enabling conditions that allow for Indigenous and rural communities to sustainably manage their landscapes while simultaneously building pathways to improve local well-being.
We embrace a bottom-up approach, helping communities own every step of the planning, implementation, and management of initiatives, as we understand this to be essential for long-lasting, sustainable change. Our needs-based approach fosters outcomes by ensuring rights and services, creating financial and non-financial incentives that catalyze ecosystem stewardship, and supporting democratic village-led governance towards natural resource management. We believe conservation is most effective when local resource-users are defining stewardship and the processes for engagement. We simply facilitate the process and support the right conditions for communities to flourish in their landscapes.
Our organization believes in the power of collaboration and trust. We believe these values must underpin internal organizational processes and external partnerships with communities, governments, and civil society partners. We strive to lead with evidence and evaluate our interventions – focusing on improving what needs to be improved, and scaling what is driving positive change. We believe in transparency between programs, among stakeholders, and with our community partners creates healthy relationships that allow us to deliver community-led solutions through high-quality program performance. As an organization, we are not bound to a particular issue, ecosystem, or community, but rather believe in addressing needs and focusing on cross-sectoral solutions that unlock the potential for local communities to drive systems change.
Summary of Position
The Managing Director (MD) will be a new position working directly with the Executive Director at Planet Indonesia – USA. The USA organization is a 501c3 non-profit and supports activities in Indonesia through our sister organization, Yayasan Planet Indonesia (YPI). While YPI has over 50 full-time staff, our US team is new. The MD should be comfortable working in a ‘start-up’ environment and understand the role and responsibilities required for grassroots movements. This position will be based remotely and work virtually.
The position will have direct management responsibilities over US-based staff (1-2 individuals), US contractors (1 individual), and work closely with Foreign Contractors (3 individuals). The position will also be expected to work closely with the US Board of Directors on relevant matters. The MD will oversee strategic organizational growth, US operations, broader scaling strategies, US administration, US human resources development, fundraising, and support of international partners – namely our Indonesian registered non-profit Yayasan Planet Indonesia. The MD will also be expected to ensure efficiency in operations and maximize cost effectiveness for the US-based 501c3, Planet Indonesia – USA. This is a full-time role based in the US.
The MD will be an effective systems thinker and creative individual who sees how the parts of Planet Indonesia’s rights-based holistic approach fit together as an impactful, results-orientated model. The candidate should demonstrate success in supporting excellence by recruiting, building and developing individuals who perform as a results-driven team. A successful candidate will thrive in environments that are dynamic, fast-paced, collegiate and ambitious, and be able to demonstrate experience in inspiring and motivating a team through periods of growth and change, while maintaining pace and focus. We are looking for a leader who is a team player, open to new ideas, quick to respond to new opportunities, and approaches operations with creativity, innovation, and detail.
The position will be expected to:
(1) Oversee Planet Indonesia-USA’s strategic objectives and performance goals
(2) Deliver strategies on time and on budget
(3) Directly manage US-based staff, contractors, and foreign contractors
(4) Provide on-going support to Indonesian and international partners
(5) Develop, implement, and evaluate fundraising plans to support growth
(6) Work closely with individual donors and philanthropists, both in the US and abroad
(7) Develop dynamic fundraising plans to increase private-giving to Planet Indonesia-USA
(8) Support staff in grant writing, grant review, and proposal development when needed
(9) Collaborate with the Executive Director and Board of Directors on strategy, and operations plans
(10) Oversee US staffing – structure, systems and human resources
(11) Ensure compliance with non-profit standards (IRS, state registration, etc.) in the USA
(12) Nurture new partnerships, collaborations, and strategies to grow Planet Indonesia’s impact, reach, and scale
(13) Provide mentorship, leadership, and professional growth opportunities for teams
(14) Support and contribute to Planet Indonesia’s values and work culture
(15) Develop and implement reporting mechanisms to the Board of Directors
(16) Work closely with Planet Indonesia’s financial and accounting service provider
Skills and experience required:
1. Demonstrate a strong commitment to Planet Indonesia’s approach to environmental conservation, and to the values of integrity, humility, and humanity
2. A track record of developing, managing, and leading dynamic teams
3. A proven track record of fundraising, with a focus on leveraging private individual donors over grant-writing
4. Experience in building and managing effective operations plans, with a focus on execution
5. A track record of building and supporting inclusive, healthy, intercultural work environments
6. Experience in providing mentoring, leadership, and professional development support
7. Experience in developing and utilizing donor management systems
8. A track record of developing partnerships to support growth, scale, and impact
9. A detailed task and process-oriented working style
10. Poses an analytical orientation towards evaluation, outcomes, and learning
11. A team player who works to find common ground, build bridges, and is an excellent listener and communicator
12. Receptive to feedback – progressively incorporating mistakes and challenges as factors in improving personal performance
13. Demonstrable understanding of compliance, safeguarding and human resources
14. Demonstrable understanding of finance and non-profit accounting systems
15. Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
16. Flexible working style that is willing to adapt to new challenges and opportunities
PLANET INDONESIA – COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
At Planet Indonesia we value individuals regardless of their race, sexual orientation, religion, age, gender, disability status, neurodiversity, nationality, or any other dimension of diversity. We are constantly striving to enhance inclusion in all areas of our operations. We acknowledge that diversity and inclusion is an ongoing process, and that proactive action to value every individual’s contribution needs to become part of our way of approaching conservation and community development.
Our distinctive approach to diversity is based on a belief that we each have a personal accountability for success in this area. We commit to provide our team/staff with training and tools to help increase their awareness and understanding of differences and to value the diverse perspectives people bring to the board and to the team.
We value culture and community, diverse races and unique perspectives. We acknowledge that, historically, much of the aid and development processes have been rooted in colonialism, and that is still part of our reality today. We strive to offset these historical legacies to the best of our ability and strive to build equitable partnerships with the communities we work with.
How to Apply
How to apply:
Apply by February 21, 2021
Send the following to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Managing Director Application”
- Cover letter expressing interest, relevant experience, and how the position relates long-term career goals and personal goals
- 1 written piece that is related to the fields of people-centered conservation (e.g. journal article, news article, blog post, etc.)
- 3 references (name, position, and email)
- 2 examples of fundraising experience (e.g. fundraising events organized, donor management systems, etc.)
- Please submit salary range expectations based on experience