Full-Time Emerging Technology Campaigner
Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for five decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment. Our current campaigns focus on promoting clean energy and solutions to climate change, ensuring the food we eat and products we use are sustainable and safe for our health and the environment, and protecting marine ecosystems and the people who live and work near them. This work is carried out by our team of staff in our Berkeley, California and Washington, D.C. offices.
Friends of the Earth’s Food and Agriculture program works to rapidly transition our food system to one that is regenerative, healthy, and just. We seek three fundamental shifts in our food system: from industrial and chemical-intensive to ecologically regenerative; from corporate-controlled to democratically governed; and from a system that embodies the deepest inequities in our society to one that advances social justice and fulfills the needs of all eaters now and into the future. We achieve success through a systems-based approach that weaves together market change and policy advocacy supported by intersectional organizing, cutting-edge science, and strategic communications.
We are seeking to hire a talented and dedicated individual to support Friends of the Earth’s Emerging Technology and Genetic Engineering Campaign. Our campaign aims to protect our health and environment from the risks posed by genetically engineered food and products rapidly entering the food system and environment ahead of adequate safety assessment and regulation. We do this via markets and policy advocacy, coalition building, organizing, and education of policymakers, companies, and the public. We also advance equitable organic and ecologically regenerative farming systems that are inherently healthier and pose fewer risks for people and the planet. This position will either be based in our Washington, D.C. office or remote.
- Help design and implement strategic market and policy campaigns together with the Emerging Technology Program Manager, Communications and Membership teams and other stakeholders.
- Develop and demonstrate expertise on both domestic and international policy and market trends related to genetic engineering, food, and agriculture.
- Educate and advocate with members of Congress, the administration, companies, and other decisionmakers to advance campaign objectives.
- Represent Friends of the Earth in media interviews, conferences, at public events, and in legislative and federal agency meetings and briefings to support campaign objectives and reach key audiences.
- Work with the Emerging Technology Program Manager, Food and Agriculture Program Director, and Development department to help implement a fundraising plan, foundation proposals, and membership materials. Cultivate relationships with donors and foundations.
- Supervise and manage interns and consultants as needed.
- Support online and offline organizing of Friends of the Earth’s base to support campaign objectives.
- Coordinate and organize events and actions such as rallies, petition deliveries, panel discussions, and weeks of action.
- Organize, collaborate with, and mobilize a broad, diverse, and powerful base of allies in support of our campaigns.
- Assist in educating the public, press, allies, policymakers, and other stakeholders by writing issue briefs, attending meetings, and collaborating on presentations.
- Engage and train activists and volunteers.
Research & Writing
- Conduct research and analysis to help develop reports and articles, factsheets, web content, action alerts, and other campaign materials on genetic engineering, food, and agriculture for allies, opinion leaders, policymakers, the press and the public.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 1-3 years of experience in campaigning, organizing, and/or policy advocacy (not limited to environmental topics).
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to environmental, social, and racial justice.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a fast-moving and results-oriented team, with a diverse group of coalition partners, and in a changing environment.
- Ability to travel locally, regionally, and nationally, once conditions allow.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- A strategic mindset that grasps opportunities in both short-term and long-term contexts.
- Interest in and understanding of agriculture and food systems.
- Ability to balance and successfully complete a wide range of activities including advocacy, research, communications, policy development, and organizing.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.
How to ApplyApply online at https://foe.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=22
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405