Full-Time YCC Expedition Leader (Youth Leader)
The Montana Conservation Corps (MCC) is currently looking for Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) Expedition Crew Leaders! We focus on the growth of our participants, transferable job skills, and making a positive impact on the climate and environment. YCC Leaders guide Montana Youth on conservation based service projects. These crews work on day projects with a Forest Service district. They help complete conservation goals for their area. They are based in remote communities across Montana, and the youth go home every night. Expedition Leaders will have the opportunity to earn certifications such as Wilderness Advanced First Aid, Youth Mental Health First Aid, and participation in workshops such as Facilitative Leadership and Managing Behavior Using Restorative Justice. These crews provide much necessary opportunities and job skills training for our rural Montana Youth. Are you passionate about youth development? Want to address climate change issues? Want to make a positive impact on the environment? Then this is the perfect opportunity for you!
As an expedition leader of an MCC youth conservation crew (YCC), you will guide local Montana youth in conservation service-based outdoor projects on our public lands. You’ll have the chance to positively impact the lives students, local communities, and some of the most treasured wild lands in the West.
If you’re committed to, and impassioned by, making an impact on both the lives of youth and our public lands, then serving as a leader of a youth crew is the right position for you! The Youth Conservation Corps Expedition Leader will lead crews with a co-leader for month long projects, working intensively in one community to fully explore a variety of hands-on natural resource projects. YCC crews are based in remote, rural communities around Montana, with crew sizes of 5-8 participants. The youth participants typically go home every evening.
YCC Expedition Leaders will have the opportunity to earn certifications such as Wilderness Advanced First Aid, Chainsaw and Crosscut certifications, and participation in workshops such as Facilitative Leadership, Youth Mental Health First Aid, and Managing Behavior Using Restorative Justice. You will also get exposure to resource professionals with agencies like the US Forest Service and National Park Service.
Location: Bozeman or Kalispell
Program Dates: 5/16/22 – 8/19/22
Living Allowance: $737 biweekly before taxes are taken out
AmeriCorps Education Award: $1,718.25 upon completion of the program
Member Assistance Program: Free 24/7 access to confidential behavioral health counseling, financial assistance, medical/legal advocacy, and more!
Food Per Diem while on Projects
*Housing is often provided for these leaders
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions to learn more!
There are multiple benefits with an AmeriCorps Term of Service!
MCC is committed to being diverse, welcoming, and inclusive. We are working to reduce barriers to participating in our programs. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
- High school degree, GED, or willingness to work towards obtaining a GED
- 21 years old on the start date of the program
- Valid driver’s license, ability to pass a Motor Vehicle Records check
- US Citizenship or lawful permanent US Resident
- Ability to pass a National Service Criminal History Check
- Ability to hike 3-12 miles per day in terrain that can be steep, rocky or uneven, often wearing a 45lb backpack while carrying tools and sometimes backpacking with full packs of 60 – 70lbs
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds repeatedly and use hand and power tools
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrates strong service ethic and desire to serve the community and the environment
- Embraces willingness to work long, hard hours in all weather conditions; ability to be away on overnight trips for up to 14-30 days at a time
- Commitment to completing term; available for duration of entire term of service
- Passion for working with youth and the outdoors
- Experience working with youth ages 14-18
How to Apply
- Apply Here: https://www.mtcorps.org/joinmcc/open-positions/
- Upload Resume & optional Cover Letter
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405