Temporary Water Conservation Associate/Summer Internship
Position Title: Water Conservation Associate/Summer Internship
Employer: Resource Central; Boulder, CO
Job Status: Temporary; 32-40+ hours/week. Flexible start/end dates.
Benefits: $16/hour plus mileage reimbursement, cell phone stipend, paid training and sick leave, $250 bonus after 30 days of employment.
Reports To: Senior Program Coordinator
Location: Field work primarily in Denver and Boulder metro areas. Possible travel to Fort Collins, Pueblo, Fountain, or other Colorado cities which could require an extended commute or overnight stay.
About Resource Central
We’re an innovative nonprofit determined to make conservation so simple that people don’t even realize they’re doing it. Founded in 1976, our programs in water, energy, and waste have helped more than 700,000 people save money, improve their homes, and conserve natural resources. Learn more at: ResourceCentral.org.
Resource Central Mission
Putting conservation into action.
Helping to conserve Colorado’s water by removing lawns, conducting sprinkler evaluations, and distributing low-water garden kits.
Our Water Conservation Associates and Summer Interns play a pivotal role in empowering Colorado residents to save water. Each summer, they work outdoors in small teams and independently to deliver our assortment of innovative water-saving programs to thousands of homeowners and businesses. This summer, we’re building a team of energetic and enterprising conservation rockstars who don’t mind getting a bit dirty! By making a measurable contribution toward sustainability in their community, our Associates and Interns gain valuable knowledge about conservation in the West, as well as green-industry experience that prepares them for careers in sustainability, environmental management, policy, and advocacy. Many of our seasonal staff have leveraged the skills they gained in this position to create rewarding full-time careers in conservation.
The principal responsibility of all Water Conservation Associates and Interns is to provide Colorado residents and businesses with practical solutions to reduce outdoor water use. This will be achieved by working on three of our popular water conservation programs as described below.
Slow the Flow
- Approximately 60% of workload.
- Conduct sprinkler system efficiency evaluations at private homes and businesses.
- Test sprinkler systems, collect data, and make small adjustments to sprinkler heads to conserve water and improve system performance.
- Program sprinkler control clocks to provide a more efficient watering schedule.
- Educate homeowners and business owners on best practices in outdoor water use.
- Ensure collected data are accurate and complete. Submit reports in a timely and professional manner.
Lawn Removal Service
- Approximately 35% of workload.
- Work in teams of three to accelerate water conservation across Colorado’s eastern slope by cutting and removing sections of lawn from private homes and businesses.
- Provide advice about low-water landscaping and support a fun, collaborative work environment.
- Safely operate a sod cutter, drive a truck with a trailer, use shovels and hand tools, and lift sections of sod repeatedly throughout the day. Troubleshoot problems in the field.
Garden In A Box
- Approximately 5% of workload for most staff. Some evening and weekend shifts available. A limited number of staff may have the opportunity to work on this program 100% in May.
- Prepare for and assist with drive-thru garden distribution event setup and breakdown across the eastern slope and Front Range.
- Unload and move heavy plant carts while keeping inventory organized.
- Provide direction to volunteers while creating a fun and positive volunteer experience.
- Confirm and accurately fulfill customer orders, answer basic questions about low-water landscaping and plant care, and work independently to troubleshoot order discrepancies.
- Occasionally assist with administrative duties including responding to customer phone calls and emails.
We seek to hire crew members who reside within our four main service regions: Northern Colorado, Boulder County, Denver Metro, and South Denver. Most staff can expect to primarily conduct appointments at job sites within a 30-mile radius of where they live. Longer commutes and overnight stays may be required occasionally for some staff; travel pay and accommodations will be provided for overnight travel.
Skills and Qualifications
- Outstanding customer service. Bilingual English-Spanish is a plus
- Reliability while working independently
- Experience in fieldwork, landscaping, or sustainability preferred
- Basic computer skills preferred
- Must be at least 18 years of age and pass a background check
- Must have a valid driver’s license, daily access to a vehicle, automobile insurance, and a smartphone. Significant travel by personal vehicle is required and will be reimbursed
- Ability to safely work outdoors in all kinds of weather including high temperatures. Ability to lift 30 pounds, walk three miles, kneel, lift, and bend repeatedly throughout an eight-hour shift, up to five days per week.
- Actively participate in regularly scheduled meetings via Zoom and phone
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
How to Apply
- Application Deadline: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Open until filled.
- Start Date: Late April or early May, 2022. Some flexibility available.
- Application Process: To apply, submit a cover letter and a resume by email to HR@ResourceCentral.org with the subject "Water Conservation Associate/Intern"
- Resource Central is a 100% COVID-19 vaccinated workplace, as allowed for by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Proof of vaccination will be required upon acceptance of a job offer. Job applicants with religious and disability-related objections will be given reasonable accommodations.
- Resource Central is dedicated to equal employment opportunities. We provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job, without regard to age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, military status, gender expression, genetic information or any other classification protected by applicable state or local law. It is our policy to maintain a non-discriminatory environment free from intimidation, harassment or bias based upon these grounds.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405