Full-Time Vice President & Senior Advisor to the CEO
Vice President of Finance & Senior Advisor to the CEO October 2022
Between 2020 and 2050, America will be governed by fifteen Congresses and at least four Presidents. Sustained periods of one-party rule are extremely unlikely. Bipartisan leadership on climate change is essential.
DEPLOY/US is a convener and accelerator of climate leadership across the political spectrum. DEPLOY/US is the only organization in the country focused on building the capacities, amplifying the voices, and scaling the impact of the entire field of civil society groups working right-of-center on climate change. Our work supports the success of philanthropic, business, finance, military, faith, grassroots and policy organizations and leaders working to advance bipartisan climate action. DEPLOY/US is a strictly nonpartisan 501(c)3 nonprofit.
We seek a Vice President of Finance & Senior Advisor to the CEO to join our exceptional, politically diverse team.
The Vice President of Finance & Senior Advisor to the CEO (VP/SA) will advance the financial strategy, organizational development, and hands-on hard work that will enable DEPLOY/US to achieve ambitious, important goals. Succeeding our founding CFO/COO, this is a role for an individual who has successfully scaled finance and operations in a rapidly growing organization.
We hire talented experts who are passionate about our mission and unique strategy, embrace being part of a politically diverse team, and are willing to roll up their sleeves and do the sometimes mundane tasks that are necessary within a nimble, early-stage organization.
The DEPLOY/US Vice President of Finance & Senior Advisor to the CEO will enjoy a unique and wide-ranging role with substantial responsibility, including day-to-day tasks in accounting and human resources, as well as regular intervals as a thought partner for the CEO. Embracing change, growth, and evolution strategically, the VP/SA will neither be “above” certain activities (i.e., ensuring that payroll is processed in a timely manner or that GSuite is working) nor too detail-oriented to step back and plan for the future. DEPLOY/US is hiring an individual for both its current moment and its ambitious aspirations for the future.
Strategy & Senior Leadership
As an advocate for DEPLOY/US’ mission and a member of the senior leadership team, the VP/SA will take an active role in building the systems and advising on the strategy that will lead to success. Among the responsibilities will be the following:
- Assist and partner with the CEO and senior leadership team to develop and evolve long-term organizational strategy and planning.
- Advise and partner with the CEO in advancing team culture, continuous learning and improvement, and mentoring and coaching team members as needed.
- Advise and partner with the CEO in supporting and building DEPLOY/US’ board of directors.
- Understand, embrace, and offer input, within one’s realm of expertise, on the organization’s broader strategy.
The VP/SA will be responsible for a substantial number and range of financial duties, supported by a part-time bookkeeper, which include but are not limited to the following:
- Cash management such as monitoring A/R and A/P balances, approving invoices, paying vendors, and ensuring liquid capital is available to meet near-term cash needs.
- Extensive grant management support from distributing funds to DEPLOY/US grantees and maintaining related files and documentation, to processing, classifying, and tracking incoming grants and their use within the organization.
- Hands-on, day-to-day routine nonprofit accounting as well as financial systems maintenance and controls from ensuring compliance with GAAP and audit requirements to weekly oversight for the bookkeeper to managing the monthly and yearly reconciliations.
- Management of all employment-related finances such as preparing and running the monthly payroll and related reports, maintaining all 401k-related records and reporting, and managing quarterly and annual filings (e.g., forms 940/941, W-2/W-3s, state UI reports, etc.).
- Management and oversight of all donation processing and documentation, routing all donations with guidance on gift recognition and reviewing and reconciling donation activity including restrictions and pledge fulfillment.
- Routine and ad hoc financial reporting, whether through budget reports to the board and leadership, updates on financial KPIs, or a financial report for a foundation.
- Production of all finance-related forms such as annual 1099s, Form 990, and state fundraising registration and reporting.
- Management of the annual audit and tax filings, from providing all data to the CPA, responding to documentation requests in a timely manner, and implementing any improvements to day-to-day practices to ensure a clean audit each year.
The VP/SA also serves as the central operations hub for the organization. Responsibilities include the following as well as others as needed:
- Leadership for multiple Human Resources initiatives including all facets of the hiring process, employee onboarding, complying with state employment laws such as UI, workers’ compensation, and family leave, and ensuring DEPLOY/US offers competitive benefits.
- Service as the IT leader, whether evaluating and mitigating security risks, administering GSuite, or maintaining and routinely backing up the organization’s files and data.
- Assessment and mitigation of legal and other risks, including maintaining updated organizational policies, identifying and obtaining needed insurance for risk reduction, and serving as the liaison to external legal counsel.
Qualities and Qualifications
The successful DEPLOY/US Vice President of Finance & Senior Advisor to the CEO will be a unique individual inspired by DEPLOY/US’ mission and eager to apply strategic savvy and practical skills. We welcome candidates from diverse political backgrounds and perspectives. Candidates may have gained relevant experience as a result of successful political, military, corporate, or nonprofit positions. We anticipate receiving applications from candidates with substantial career experience who want to advance responsible decarbonization, as well as from strong candidates earlier in their careers.
Candidates should bring the following credentials:
- An authentic commitment to DEPLOY/US’ unique mission and strategy, ideally with an understanding of climate change policy and the value of right-of-center engagement.
- 7 to 10 years or more of nonprofit finance and operations experience as a controller, CFO, or Director of Finance & Administration within a rapidly growing environment.
- Previous broad and hands-on financial and operations experience, including experience with HR compliance and in a multi-state operating environment.
- Service as a nonprofit board member or board Treasurer is beneficial; experience working with a nonprofit board is necessary.
- Experience supervising a team and a track record of effectively coaching or mentoring colleagues are helpful.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, or a related field is helpful, but not required; CPA is helpful but not required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an emphasis on business communications.
- Demonstrated contribution to the rapid growth, scale, and effective evolution of an organization or movement.
- Substantial experience working with QuickBooks Online (or comparable cloud-based accounting systems) is required.
Strong candidates will have the following qualities:
- Exceptional personal integrity, a strong work ethic, a commitment to continuous learning, and a self-improvement and servant leadership orientation.
- Strong strategic and systems thinking, combined with an entrepreneurial mindset and a get-it-done attitude.
- Flexibility in thinking and enthusiasm for changing course as circumstances require.
- Strong interpersonal skills, high emotional intelligence, and an ability to earn the trust of our growing team and diverse network of partners.
- Exceptional ability to develop and regularly improve complex inter-organizational processes.
- Ability to work well under pressure, embrace ambiguity, and concurrently manage a wide range of responsibilities.
- Supreme reliability with a say-to-do ratio approaching 100%; willing to sweep the floors if that is what needs to be done.
- Willing and able to occasionally travel within the United States.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
DEPLOY/US offers a very competitive total compensation package from generous salary (range available for serious candidate inquiries) to extensive benefits and generous PTO. Benefits include flextime, 401k with a 4% match, a wellness stipend, and more. DEPLOY/US operates remotely with team members working from home.
How to Apply
- To Apply: Submit a thoughtful cover letter, detailing your interest in DEPLOY/US’ mission and strategy, your experience in roles requiring both hands-on tasks and high-level strategic leadership, and your demonstrated past success in a rapidly scaling organization or movement. Title your cover letter and resume with your last name (e.g., “Smith cover letter.pdf” and “Smith resume.pdf”). Submit your cover letter and resume (pdf files only) to our search consultant, Carolyn O’Brien Consulting, LLC at DEPLOY_US@carolynobrien.org. Candidate nominations are also welcome.
- DEPLOY/US is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes candidates regardless of age, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, medical history, and other non-merit characteristics.