Full-Time USDN Communications Coordinator
The Urban Sustainability Directors Network (USDN) supports local governments to implement bold change in pursuit of equitable and sustainable communities. It does this by building the capacity of local governments to act, scaling promising practices and solutions, and harnessing data and insights to advance and influence the field. The heart of USDN’s work is a network of local government sustainability professionals from over 250 cities and counties across the United States and Canada dedicated to creating a healthy environment, advancing racial equity, and building thriving and resilient communities. USDN is powered by a distributed team of 20 people that work together across the United States, and a robust network of trusted partners and collaborators.
USDN believes that a diverse, inclusive, and equity-centered climate movement is essential to achieving our ambitious goals for just, resilient, carbon neutral communities. Our work prioritizes those who experience the most vulnerability to climate change, disproportionate exposure to environmental injustice, and the biggest barriers to benefiting from climate solutions.
The Communications Coordinator is a member of the Communications and Mobilization team. This person will support the team across key functions, including managing newsletters, the website, social media channels, and program-specific support. This person will also collaborate with staff across the organization to improve member and staff communications channels, and collect ideas and create content to share with our members, funders, partners and the public. The position offers the opportunity to help shape USDN internal and external communications and tell stories about building equitable, sustainable communities.
The ideal candidate is someone who loves to collaborate and run with projects, has a thirst and knack for verbal and visual storytelling, a keen eye for detail and project management, eager to develop strategic communications skills, and can see and appreciate how all these small pieces add up to a compelling story and experience for members, funders and other stakeholders.
- Curate and manage weekly member-only and monthly public-facing newsletters
- Draft original content; source and curate content from members, partners and media
- Use iContact and Salesforce to draft and send newsletters; maintain contact lists
- Use Google Analytics to improve digital communications
- Make recommendations and collaborate with the Network team to improve newsletter relevance and engagement for members and the public; share engagement trends with fellow staff members
- Update and maintain USDN.org with new material, events, and announcements relevant to the whole network, especially the member home page, latest news and public pages
- Use Google Analytics and Salesforce reports to monitor website activity
- Collaborate with the Operations and Network teams team to improve user experience, ensure accessibility, and align USDN.org with USDN values and strategic priorities
- Collaborate with Operations and Network teams on website improvements, vendor relationship, and manage troubleshooting and improvements with vendor
- Social media
- Monitor LinkedIn and Twitter, build and manage a content calendar, draft and post content, interact with partners, members, funders and media
- Collaborate with staff to create and share original content, including posts, articles and videos
- Design simple, approachable and creative graphics for posts and data visualizations; capture and edit short videos
- Monitor social media engagement and analytics; make recommendations to improve social media presence, strategy and engagement
- Program support
- Support the Communications and Mobilization team with program-specific needs, including scheduling and staffing workshops and webinars, project management and data capture, and maintaining website content for members
- Support the Communications and Mobilization team with editing and designing content for public channels, funders and members
- Build and maintain media lists; monitor sustainability conversation in key media outlets
Skills and abilities
- Clear, concise and engaging written and verbal communication
- Project management skills, highly organized, with strong attention to detail
- Capacity to manage multiple projects with different deadlines
- Ability to work productively in an unstructured environment
- Ability to work independently and with team members in a collaborative and dynamic environment
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and lead projects, coming up with creative approaches and solutions
- Simple and aesthetic graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, or other tools) and video editing skills
- Utilize Google Analytics and other tools to monitor and optimize digital content
- Proficient in digital and collaborative office tools including: Google Suite, Zoom, Slack, Microsoft Office Suite, and Monday.com (or other Work Operating Systems)
- Preferred but not required: familiarity with Salesforce, iContact (or other email marketing tools), and Pardot (or other marketing automation tools)
- 5 years experience and/or education in communications, engagement or marketing
- Experience working on sustainability, climate change, resilience, and racial equity
- Full-time position for 12 months, with possibility of extension
- Reports to USDN’s Communications and Mobilization Director
- Compensation: Expected range $50-60,000 annually, commensurate with qualifications. Robust benefits package, including health, dental, disability, and life insurance, flexible leave policy, and 401(k) program
- Location: This is a fully remote, work-from-home position. USDN has no central office but staff collaborate extensively via video call meetings. Candidates must furnish their own quiet office space for conference calls. USDN provides a computer, smartphone, and IT stipend to cover internet and phone, software, and other home office supplies
- Work hours: 9am-5pm Eastern, Central, Mountain, or Pacific Standard Times (flexible); 40 hours/week
Urban Sustainability Directors Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to equal treatment of all employees without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, physical or mental disability or other basis protected by law.
How to ApplyPlease click here to submit an application online.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405