Full-Time Urban Grown Farm Manager
The Urban Farm (TUF ), a 501(c)3 non-profit, inspires excitement for learning through hands-on education and practical work experience, while fostering respect, responsibility, curiosity, compassion, and grit. As a community farm and education center we work to remove the barriers to entry for urban youth to engage and experience the benefits of agriculture, land stewardship, animal husbandry in a holistic environment.
Supervised by TUF’s Executive Director, the Urban Grown Incubator Farm Manager is responsible for the planning, management and oversight of TUF’s horticultural operations which include the production of vegetables, herbs, and flowers on ½ acre, a demonstration aquaponic greenhouse, and a hydroponic container farm as well as the educational programming associated with Healthy Food for Denver Kids grant agreement. This position ensures that the incubator farm is producing as well as educating members of the community about gardening and farming. The Incubator Farm Manager will play a key role in the expansion and implementation of our horticultural operations and programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (3-4 years of relevant experience may be substituted for education)
- A minimum of 3 years of experience farming for commercial markets
- A minimum of 2 years of greenhouse management experience
- Farm management experience or 2 years of supervisory/program management work in a related field
- Experience managing and training staff, student workers, and volunteers
- Demonstrated experience with curriculum development, program administration, and delivery
- Demonstrated knowledge of organic farming practices including crop rotation, cover cropping, composting, IPM, and soil fertility management
- Experience tracking, reporting, and meeting production targets and revenue projections
- Demonstrated experience leading small scale construction and landscaping projects
- Ability to safely operate tractors and other farm equipment (i.e. manure spreader, disk, etc)
- Comfortable working with databases or farm-planning software, POS retail/inventory management software, and proficient in Google Drive and Microsoft Office.
- Strong communication/people skills; ability to build relationships aligned with TUF’s mission
- Valid US driver’s license and clean driving record
- Demonstrated commitment to communities of color, Latinx, immigrant, refugee, historically marginalized, and asylum-seeking populations
- Familiarity and experience with aquaponics and hydroponics
- Proficiency in season extension practices
- Livestock and pasture management experience
- Experience delivering WIC, EBT and similar social services
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities
- Perform and manage seed-to-harvest work using soil-based, hydroponic, and aquaponic systems year-round.
- Design and deliver hands-on lessons on gardens, nutrition, food sources, environmental science, cooking, and sustainability with students K-12, in classroom, after school, field trip, and summer camp settings.
- Create, maintain, and deliver curriculum for young farmer training program.
- Collaborate with local stakeholders and partners to advocate for local farmers and a sustainable local food system.
- Assist Executive Director with the planning and implementation of the Incubator Farm and horticulture expansion including construction of new ½ acre farm and delivery of hydroponic container farm.
- Facilitate local food distribution of produce through on-site sales, donations, and restaurant sales.
- Ensure tools and facilities are maintained, cleaned, and organized and holds team members, volunteers and program participants to the same level of accountability.
- Maintain food safety and good agricultural practices for produce operations.
- Conduct detailed record keeping, invoicing and budget management.
- Contribute to grant applications and grant reporting as it related to the Urban Grown Incubator Farm.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position will require a mix of office work (including options to work from home) and outdoor physical labor. Hours will be variable, some weekends and evenings required based on special events and programming. Applicants must be able to lift 50 lbs, stand and/or sit for long periods of time, and work outdoors in variable weather conditions.
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time position requiring 40 hours per week. Starting salary will be dependent on experience and qualifications; however, the target salary range for this position is $50,000 – $55,000/year. This is a grant funded position.
Generous paid vacation, holiday and sick time off. Fresh produce stipend.
How to ApplySend a cover letter, resume, and three professional/academic references to Michelle Graham, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until Friday, October 30th. Please use the subject line “Urban Grown Incubator Farm Manager Position”.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405