Full-Time Tree Logistics Specialist
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Tree Logistics Specialist in the EPR Department to be based in Duncannon and Lancaster, PA.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
Established in 1966, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to saving the Chesapeake Bay, its rivers and streams, and the wildlife that call it home through education, advocacy, litigation, and restoration. Since 2010, CBF has engaged in a focused effort to defend and implement the Chesapeake Clean Water Blueprint, a binding federal and state collaborative agreement aimed at reducing pollution to the science-based, legally-affirmed levels established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Blueprint is expected to be fully implemented by 2025. If the states and the federal government achieve Blueprint goals, the Bay will finally—after decades of failed efforts—be removed from the Clean Water Act’s impaired waters list. Successfully implementing the Blueprint depends on a well-informed, engaged, active, and diverse constituency of members, advocates, and volunteers who speak up and take action to save the Bay.
CBF has a staff of approximately 210 employees working in offices in Annapolis, Maryland; Richmond and Virginia Beach, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C. as well as 15 field education program locations. Our staff and volunteer corps work throughout the region educating students and adults, advocating for clean water policies, restoring waterways, and litigating when necessary.
CBF’s headquarters office in Annapolis, Maryland is the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world’s first U.S. Green Build Council’s LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened the Brock Environmental Center—one of the world’s most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings—in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
CBF has an annual budget of approximately $30 million and is supported by over 300,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF, please visit cbf.org.
Environmental Protection and Restoration
CBF’s Environmental Protection and Restoration department defends and restores the Chesapeake Bay by protecting the Bay’s natural resources from pollution and other harmful activities by fighting for strong and effective laws and regulations; restoring the Bay’s essential habitats and filtering mechanisms; and involving citizens in CBF’s environmental efforts by recruiting, training, and incorporating them as effective partners and leaders.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Tree Logistics Specialist support the Keystone 10 Million Trees Partnership and to be based at Chesapeake Bay Foundation’s warehouses located in Duncannon and Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
Essential functions include:
* During tree distribution season assist in communications between grower deliveries and partners
* Assist manager with contacting the growers on a weekly basis during planting seasons (spring March-May; fall Sept – Nov)
* Assist manager in creating delivery schedule with growers, suppliers, and staging districts for plants and tree planting supplies
* Assist manager in building and tracking delivery routes based on partner planting dates and knowledge of partner sites
* Ability to drive and unload 26’ box trucks and company F-350 truck as needed across PA only
* Transporting enclosed tool trailers and 19’ utility trailer with a skid loader as needed
* Leads seasonal team on truck loading while managing vehicle weight limitations
* Operate skid loader and forklift for truck loading/offloading at the warehouses and in field as needed.
* Will be lead person forklift operator for warehouse logistics at second warehouse coordinating regularly with the Manager to ensure safety protocols, training, and operations are followed appropriately
* Schedules box truck rentals with vendors as needed
* Assists with maintaining vehicle and skid loader registrations, records, safety and maintenance logs.
* Will support storage facility operations and movement of product to and from warehouses and delivery points.
* Person will be on site at plant deliveries to inspect trees and supplies being delivered to ensure quality and scopes of work are being met
* May be requested to work in the field to support restoration tree planting and maintenance work as needed.
* Customer service skills to work directly with partner organizations and landowners.
PREFERRED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Candidate should have skid loader/forklift operation experience, and/or DOT certification card or the ability to obtain one upon hire. Driver’s license required. Trailering experience a plus. Class A or B CDL a plus. Able to bend and lift approximately ~75 lbs repetitively. Self-initiative, the ability to work independently, as well as with a team and written and oral communication skills are required. Arborist, tree restoration and/or landscape knowledge preferred. Attention to detail a must. A candidate with customer service experience as an administrative assistant and/or in supply-chain logistics/transportation is a plus.
This is a full-time, term, position we anticipate working approximately 40 hours per week. The successful candidate must have reliable transportation. The position will work primarily from the Duncannon, Pennsylvania and Lancaster, Pennsylvania storage facilities with seasonal travel (not overnight) throughout Pennsylvania.
Salary Range: $42,000
To apply, please send resume and cover letter through job posting on CBF website no later than August 31, 2022.
CBF offers a comprehensive benefits package to include: 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 2 floating holidays, health, vision, dental, life insurance, and a 403(b) retirement plan with matching contribution.
CBF requires that all staff be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The successful candidate will need to submit verification of vaccination or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.
WE ARE COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE
Just as biodiversity is the key to a thriving ecosystem, human diversity is the key to saving the Bay. Success depends on people from widely diverse backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, identities, and races taking collective action. Clean water, clean air, and a safe environment are rights we all share.
To increase diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation will:
* Recruit and retain a staff, board, and membership that reflect the diversity of people living within the Chesapeake Bay region;
* Strengthen and broaden the diversity of our partnerships;
* Celebrate and value the diversity of staff; and
* Fight to ensure that everyone has equal access to clean water, clean air, and a safe environment.
CBF is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.