Full-Time Technical Advocacy Associate, Appliance Standards Awareness Project
Technical Advocacy Associate, Appliance Standards Awareness Project
The Appliance Standards Awareness Project, part of the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), seeks a qualified technical advocacy associate. ACEEE, a leading nonprofit research organization based in Washington, DC, conducts independent analysis and develops transformative policies to build a vibrant and equitable economy that uses energy more productively, protects the environment, and promotes the health, safety, and well-being of everyone.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with opportunities for professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work. ACEEE is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion while integrating equity into our research and policy work. The Appliance Standards Awareness Project (ASAP) organizes and leads a broad-based coalition effort that works to advance, win, and defend new appliance, equipment, and lighting standards which deliver large energy and water savings, monetary savings, and environmental benefits. ASAP works at the state and national levels.
The technical advocacy associate serves as a core member of a team working to achieve greater climate, economic, and equity benefits from appliance, lighting, and equipment efficiency standards. The associate leads our work on select product categories (e.g., refrigerators, electric motors, heat pumps, etc.) and plays a supporting role on others. The position primarily focuses on national standards and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) regulatory proceedings conducted to review, update, and expand them, but the associate also engages in ENERGY STAR® proceedings and provides technical support for ASAP’s state standards advocacy campaigns.
Expectations and responsibilities
The core responsibilities of the position include the following:
- Advocating for improved national efficiency standards. The technical advocacy associate is a key member of a collaborative team that covers all DOE appliance standards rulemaking activity, including test procedures and energy conservation standards.
- Engaging in proceedings for ENERGY STAR product specifications. The technical advocacy associate engages in and prepares written comments on ENERGY STAR specification revisions for select product categories.
- Providing technical support for ASAP’s state standards advocacy. ASAP develops and advocates for a package of state-level appliance standards and related or adjacent policies. The technical advocacy associate provides support for selected technologies and topics.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Excellent analytic skills (quantitative and qualitative); detail oriented
- Skilled at forming research questions; secondary data and information collection; writing up findings and formulating recommendations based on findings
- Ability to simultaneously work on several ongoing projects with competing deadlines
- Tech-savvy and quick learner; advanced capability to use Excel for analysis and data presentation
- Awareness of and respect for cultural and individual values
- Excellent writing and oral presentation skills
- Works well in a team; strong interpersonal skills
- Highly motivated/self-starter who uses sound judgment to make critical decisions independently and asks for help and guidance when needed
Required education and experience
- BS/BA or equivalent in engineering, physics, math, or similar field
- Bachelor’s degree and at least four years of relevant work experience, master’s degree and three years, or a PhD and one year
- Sound knowledge of energy and energy efficiency topics
Preferred start date: On or about August 30, 2021, or until a suitable candidate is found
Location: Geographically flexible; Washington, DC, preferred
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range is $58,271–$87,402. ACEEE’s generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.
How to ApplyTo apply: Send cover letter, resume, and brief (1–2 pages) writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and use “ASAP Technical ” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls. Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405