Full-Time Sustainable Communities Liaison
The Citizens Utility Board (CUB) is Illinois’ premiere utility watchdog organization, striving for better service and lower utility rates for all Illinois residents. Our work ranges from challenging utility rate hike requests, to fighting for more sustainable energy policies, to helping individuals understand the issues.
CUB’s outreach staffers travel the state to conduct hundreds of grassroots community events every year. We are currently seeking an energetic, public-interest-minded person to take a central role in these efforts as our Sustainable Communities Liaison.
The Sustainable Communities Liaison engages individuals and groups on consumer issues related to clean, affordable energy. He/she establishes and maintains relationships in the community and conducts meetings, workshops, and other events to educate stakeholders on utility issues.
He/she also keeps abreast of Illinois’ rapidly-changing energy policies and works with the rest of CUB’s team to develop and test effective messaging strategies.
- Researches and establishes relationships with promising organizations, elected officials, municipalities, and businesses to promote CUB’s services;
- Schedules and conducts speaking engagements to introduce CUB’s services to consumers and decision-makers;
- Works with Executive, Communications, and Outreach Directors to develop and manage outreach campaigns;
- Works with other CUB staff to create a strategic outreach plan and identify what methods work best at the grassroots level;
- Stays up-to-date on ever-changing utility policies and programs in Illinois;
- Staffs informational tables and conducts individual utility bill analyses;
- Engages and educates the public on utility policy, energy-efficiency, demand response, and other topics;
- Helps with pre- and post-event logistics and data-entry;
- Helps manage grantor relationships;
- Presents CUB’s successful outreach model at conferences and in other settings;
…and other duties as assigned.
Qualified candidates must be:
- Ready to travel throughout Illinois and work some evenings/weekends;
- Comfortable communicating with diverse constituencies;
- Licensed to drive a car (owning a car is a plus);
- Highly organized and able to perform well under minimal supervision;
- Passionate about working in the public interest.