Full-Time Strategic Partnerships Manager
Organization: Food Forward, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit
Position: Strategic Partnerships Manager
Hours: Full-Time, exempted
Location: North Hollywood, CA (this position is temporarily remote due to COVID-19)
Organization Overview: Food Forward fights hunger and prevents food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people experiencing food insecurity and inspiring others to do the same. Fruits and vegetables are collected in Los Angeles and Ventura counties from backyard fruit trees, orchards, farmers markets, and the downtown Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market. This recovered produce is provided, free of charge, to hunger relief organizations that serve community members in various ways: food banks, homeless outreach agencies, domestic violence shelters, transitional youth homes, veteran services, family resource centers, LGBTQ+ teen/adult/senior services, college student assistance programs, programs serving people with disabilities, and many more. Since Food Forward’s inception, our staff and thousands of dedicated volunteers have rescued over 175 million pounds of fruits and vegetables. This produce helped to feed millions of people across eight Southern California counties, throughout seven states, as well as in tribal lands in the Southwest last year alone. See our core values posted below.*
Position Overview: The Strategic Partnerships Manager will report to the Chief Development Officer. They will be responsible for managing a growing portfolio of corporate and other partnerships for fundraising and raising awareness about Food Forward’s impact. They will seek out, engage and maintain a wide array of income-generating corporate and event sponsorships, passive income relationships, and culinary and other creative partnerships throughout the year.
The ideal candidate must be a self-starter and possess exceptional communication, written, and critical thinking skills. They should be extremely proactive, personable, possess excellent multitasking and negotiation skills, and be able to keep small and large projects on schedule. They will demonstrate excellent leadership and project management skills; proficiency in creating and adhering to project timelines; enthusiasm and creativity; high level of professionalism with all stakeholders, including VIPs; and a high interest in learning. They will be flexible, a team player, able to work well under pressure, and comfortable working in a fast-paced, open-space environment.
The candidate should be passionate about hunger and food justice issues. Food Forward is rapidly expanding, and this position has strong potential for growth!
- Create new and manage existing income-generating corporate partnerships, including negotiating sponsorship packages; submitting required grant/sponsorship applications; goal-setting; and budgeting.
- Seek out, execute, and manage an array of revenue-generating, brand-building promotions with local restaurants, chefs, retailers, food businesses, and others.
- Represent Food Forward to potential partners and supporters, including through presentations and employee-engagement activities.
- Field inquiries from prospective partners; prioritize potential partnerships based on revenue, audience reach, and Food Forward objectives.
- Work with the Development team to amplify opportunities for corporate support, including employee matching funds and team fundraising.
- Plan and execute public events with the Development and Volunteer teams, including vendor relationships, negotiating agreements, and overseeing compliance.
- Work with Communications and Development teams to establish timelines and content for creative marketing, social media, and promotion of partnerships and events.
- Undertake research; conduct regular analysis of the donor base; and manage the prospects pipeline for partnership opportunities.
- Vet partners prior to engagement to ensure they are on mission and fit the culture/values of Food Forward.
- Work with CDO to develop annual projections and report cash flow.
- Create accurate and easy-to-digest reports for leadership, board of directors, and external stakeholders.
- Act as key staff liaison to Food Forward’s Culinary Advisory Board and Earned Income Committee.
- Maintain ongoing awareness about Food Forward activities for informed conversations with corporate partners; strategize with Development and Communications teams on creative ways to market Food Forward’s reach and impact.
- Assist with additional development projects to expand Food Forward’s fundraising capacity.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in nonprofit development or nonprofit communications field or equivalent for-profit social responsibility experience.
- Demonstrated 2 years experience in a mid-level or project management role in at least one of the following areas: corporate responsibility programs, grants, cause marketing, public relations, or event promotion.
- Basic graphic design skills and comfort with minimal art direction as it relates to branding and layout.
- Experience preparing and managing project budgets and producing financial reports.
- Experience using Salesforce and/or similar CRM software; skilled in Microsoft Office Suite and Google platforms.
- Must be willing and available to work occasional nights and weekends.
- A valid driver’s license, reliable source of transportation, and ability to navigate Southern California.
Application Deadline: Applications reviewed on a rolling basis
Desired Start Date: ASAP
Hours: Full-time, exempted with occasional evening and weekend hours
Salary: $62,500 – 67,500
- Medical, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Simple IRA with 3% employer matching (after one year of employment)
- Generous Sick Days, Paid-Time-Off, and Holiday allocation
- Cell phone allowance
- Telecommuting and Work flexibility
*Food Forward Core Values:
- Creativity – We seek to innovate in all facets of our work.
- Joyfulness – We cultivate a meaningful, fun, positive and spirited work environment.
- Committed to Food Justice – We believe that access to wholesome food, and fresh nutritious produce, is not a privilege, but a right. We work hard to end food inequality and reduce food insecurity.
- Authenticity – We are transparent and honest in our words, deeds, and actions. We act at the highest level of integrity.
- Disciplined – We are reliable, professional, accountable, rigorous and committed to excellence in all areas of our work, both internally and externally.
- Community-minded – We aim to include and connect people in the community, and to remain open, diverse, respectful, and accessible. We take pride in offering people meaningful volunteer and work experiences.
How to Apply
- Send a cover letter and resume in PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read, Strategic Partnerships Mgr. – (Your Name). In the body of the cover letter include the answers to the following questions: 1) Where did you discover this listing, and 2) If you were a variety of produce what would you be and why?
- No phone calls. Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application.
- Food Forward is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, and those with protected class backgrounds to apply. We value the individuals that we hire and look forward to creating a positive work environment for all identities.