Full-Time Stewardship Officer, Catalyst Circle
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
EDF’s high value mid-level donor program, the Catalyst Circle, focuses on donors giving between $5,000 and $25,000 annually and is part of our broader $40M membership program. The Stewardship Officer will focus on the proactive stewardship and cultivation of a portfolio of donors in the northeastern U.S. region and will take the lead on developing the potential for increased support from this donor cohort.
The Officer’s efforts will supplement and leverage a comprehensive, pre-existing program of mail- and email-based stewardship and solicitation. While the position is intended to surface opportunities for greater support from donors in the portfolio and cultivate them toward greater giving, it is not generally responsible for direct solicitation.
The position reports to the Catalyst Circle Director and can be based in either New York or Boston with the opportunity for either fully remote, hybrid or office-based work schedule.
- Proactively manage a portfolio of donors, with a primary focus on the stewardship and cultivation of individuals in the northeastern U.S. region. Qualify and prioritize a subset of the portfolio for one-to-one engagement.
- Assist the Director in setting and achieving annual contact and revenue goals for the portfolio. Inform the setting of individual solicitation levels for bi-annual mail-based solicitations for each donor by developing an understanding of their capacities, inclinations and readiness to give.
- Develop and conduct tailored one-to-one communications that leverage existing outreach materials including progress reports, event invitations, program briefings and other opportunities, to draw donors into closer engagement with EDF.
- Seek and conduct face-to-face meetings with the highest potential donors in the portfolio, setting and achieving key learning and relationship advancement objectives.
- Effectively communicate a compelling case for support. Stay up to date on EDF’s programmatic work and be able to clearly articulate EDF’s goals, the mechanisms for achieving them, and current progress.
- Produce tailored gift acknowledgements and receipts for donations from portfolio donors. Support the Catalyst Circle Stewardship Coordinator in the production of acknowledgements and receipts for the broader Catalyst Circle donor group during peak periods and absences.
- Maintain donor data for the portfolio in accordance with practices established in partnership with the Catalyst Circle Stewardship Coordinator and peers across the Development function maintaining confidentiality as required.
- Collaborate with peers on the Major and Planned Giving teams to ensure a donor-centric experience for donors who are jointly managed across teams. Contribute to the advancement of our stewardship practices and opportunities for the broader Catalyst Circle donor group.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Support special projects as needs arise.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 6 years relevant professional experience
- A minimum of three years of experience working with donors in a non-profit setting
- Superior interpersonal communication skills and a high level of comfort and discretion in direct donor interactions; excellent writing and public speaking skills
- Commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission and values
- Experience and proficiency working with fundraising databases to track and manage donor relationships
- Proven ability to work independently and in collaboration within a team and across departments and organizational functions to help achieve shared success
- An inquisitive, questioning mind coupled with the ability to translate insights into action
- Ability to assimilate multiple and often complex sources of programmatic information and craft compelling cases for support
- Demonstrated initiative and a proactive approach to surfacing and acting on opportunities
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
- A valid driver’s license and ability to drive
- Willingness and ability to travel within the assigned region
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
$83,000 – $93,000 USD/Yr.
How to Apply
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at:
How to Apply
How to Apply
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at:https://www.edf.org/jobs/stewardship-officer-catalyst-circle