Full-Time Staff Director
They [Northern Plains] confound the common view that ordinary people are powerless in the face of industry. – Billings Gazette editorial
The venerable Northern Plains Resource Council, a Montana group that has fought coal plant pollution for 40 years and defended ranchers against the gouging of their land . . . – Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Northern Plains Resource Council is a non-profit grassroots organization based in Billings, Montana. We are a rural social-justice organization committed to land stewardship, the protection of our water quality, the preservation of family farms and ranches, and keeping Montana a good place to live and work. For more than 46 years, Northern Plains has made a significant difference on critical issues in Montana by providing the information and tools necessary to give our members and others an effective voice in governmental decisions that affect their lives.
We are seeking applicants for the position of Staff Director, who is the organization’s chief executive officer. The full-time salaried position is based in Billings, Montana.
- Experience in a leadership role with an organization working on social change or environmental issues (either by employment or volunteer service).
- Committed to grassroots organizing, recognizing the role of staff in a member-driven organization.
- Experience in employee supervision and fundraising required.
- Ability to travel and be away overnight.
- Willingness to work long hours when needed.
- Experience in a political campaign.
- General familiarity with the workings of legislative bodies and government agencies.
- Familiarity with conservation and agriculture issues.
- Provide the leadership and vision for the organization with the clear understanding that Northern Plains is a truly democratic organization controlled by its member leaders.
- Manage the organization by ensuring that the Board of Directors has the necessary information and opportunity to make policy and strategy decisions in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the directives and goals set by the Board of Directors are carried out.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of Northern Plains and ensure that the organization recruits, hires, trains, and fosters its staff, which is currently made up of 20 field organizers and office-support staff.
- Ensure that the organization operates within the Board-approved budget (currently $1.5 million) and that sufficient and appropriate internal and external fundraising is done to meet the organization’s financial needs.
- Significant travel, both daylong and overnight trips, around the state of Montana and out-of-state.
The salary starts at $65,000 and is negotiable based on experience.
Benefits include health insurance, four weeks’ vacation and eight holidays annually, sick leave, pension program, sabbatical program after five years of employment, and the opportunity to work in some of the best country and with some of the best people in America.
How to ApplyApplicants should submit:
- cover letter
- writing sample
- three (3) professional references