Full-Time Staff Attorney
STAFF ATTORNEY POSITION
Open until filled.
Established in 1994, Chattahoochee Riverkeeper (CRK) is a nonprofit membership organization whose mission to educate, advocate and secure the protection and stewardship of the Chattahoochee River, including its lakes, tributaries and watershed, in order to restore and conserve their ecological health for the people and wildlife that depend on the river system and in recognition of the important ecosystem functions provided throughout the region and planet.. CRK is a licensed program in the international Waterkeeper Alliance, now more than to 300 organizations strong. CRK uses advocacy, education, research, communication, cooperation, monitoring and legal actions to protect and preserve the Chattahoochee and its watershed.
The Staff Attorney will work closely with CRK’s Executive Director and Riverkeeper in supporting the work of the organization. CRK’s Staff Attorney will be primarily responsible for:
- managing the organization’s review of and response to wastewater/stormwater discharge permits, which includes working with staff and experts to analyze changes to permits;
- preparing written comments on proposed regulations and permits; representing the organization at agency and legislative hearings;
- working alongside environmental advocacy partners to manage shared legal and legislative priorities, including actively participating and potentially facilitating meetings of statewide coalitions;
- handling legal actions in federal, state and administrative courts, typically as co-counsel with outside counsel;
- supervising law students in a legal intern program;
- maintaining CRK’s tax exempt status;
- assisting the executive director with board relations;
- reviewing contracts and leases;
- counseling the executive director and staff regarding their activities; and
- executing additional projects as necessary.
Candidates must have a J.D. degree and should be admitted to the Georgia State Bar. Candidates must also have at least two years’ experience in law practice and some experience with the federal Clean Water Act. Experience working with non-profit organizations is also preferred. Candidates must be self-motivated and possess the ability to work cooperatively and productively with others on a variety of diverse projects in a dynamic environment. They must be organized, a strong communicator, personable and hard working. They must be able to maintain a flexible schedule, including working during evenings and weekends. Physical requirements include the ability to paddle a kayak or canoe, ride on a motorized boat on the river and lakes, walk and stand for extended periods of time, handle exposure to various climates outdoors (heat, rain, cold), and move heavy objects including boats and equipment.
Chattahoochee Riverkeeper main office, 916 Joseph Lowery Blvd., Puritan Mill #3, Atlanta, GA 30318
CRK Executive Director
Competitive non-profit salary negotiable; commensurate with experience; generous benefits.
How to Apply
- To apply, send cover letter and resume to Juliet Cohen, Executive Director, Chattahoochee Riverkeeper, 916 Joseph E. Lowery Blvd., Puritan Mill Suite 3, Atlanta, GA. 30318 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CRK is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic prohibited by law.