Part-Time Staff Accountant
Are you interested in working with at tight-knit team of people who care about each other and The Bay? Do you have an aptitude for finance and administration? Would you like to use your business savvy to provide accounting and payroll support to a group of scientists, restoration experts, educators, policy advocates, and support teams who drive our mission? Look no further! For more than five decades, Save The Bay has been the leading regional organization working to protect and restore San Francisco Bay and we are seeking a Staff Accountant. He/She/They will be responsible for the majority of Save The Bay’s day to day accounting tasks, including, processing payroll, recording donations, performing bank reconciliations, and monitoring the general ledger. Reporting to the Finance and Administrative Manager, this position will also assist in higher level accounting assignments, and help enhance business processes to increase efficiencies and effectiveness. We welcome and encourage people of any background, orientation, gender, ethnicity and race to apply and thrive with us. We offer a flexible, virtual work environment and provide equipment, training and frequent virtual opportunities to connect. This is a Part-time (FTE 80%), non-exempt position.
- Record all income and manage financial accounting activities using QuickBooks. Create custom reports and train staff on its use.
- Reconcile credit card statements
- Monitor the general ledger, including but not limited to Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable
- Manage expense reporting software (Abacus)
- Manage banking, including statement reconciliations and cash flow in accordance to Save The Bay’s investment policy and FDIC insurance limits.
- Perform financial quarterly close tasks, including reconciliation of gifts between Salesforce and QuickBooks, accrual adjustments, and preparation of the profit and loss statement
- Assist F&A Manager with tax returns, annual financial audit, and miscellaneous projects
- Assist with W-2s, 1099s, and other forms with IRS, State and County agencies
- Manage finance-related miscellaneous projects
- Manage and process payroll using Paylocity; educate staff and answer related questions
- Process new hire employee benefit enrollments: health, dental, vision, chiropractic, life, 403 (b) plan and worker’s compensation, FSA and commuter benefits, along with terminations
- Manage HR-related miscellaneous projects
Administrative and Miscellaneous Support:
- Assist staff with insurance requests (certificates, worker’s comp claims)
- Assist with annual Worker’s Compensation Audit
- In conjunction with F&A Manager and CFO, train and remind staff on GAAP principles and STB financial policies
- Provide backup for Operations Manager as needed
- Minimum of AA degree in Accounting or Finance is preferred or equivalent experience
- Enthusiasm for Save the Bay’s mission and programs
- Minimum three years’ experience in non-profit accounting (including payroll management)
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, CRM (Salesforce preferred), an online payroll platform (Paylocity preferred), accounting software (QuickBooks preferred)
- Strong analytical and financial management skills
- Accuracy is your middle name
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to prioritize work and meet deadlines
- Keen communication skills and a natural desire to support and assist others
- Always handles confidential information with complete discretion
- Clean background check
- Pleasant, professional demeanor with a sense of humor
We offer an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, chiropractic, life insurance, 403(b) plan, paid vacation, paid holidays and sick time.
Due to the current health pandemic, Save The Bay’s office is currently closed and all employees are working remotely. Save The Bay is an equal opportunity employer that strives to recruit and retain a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce.