Full-Time Staff Accountant
Who We Are and What We Do
Save The Bay’s mission is to protect and restore the Bay for people and wildlife. We are the only regional organization that integrates political advocacy, wetland restoration, and education to shape a healthy and resilient region. We are a team of passionate people, and at the core, we are collaborative, supportive, dedicated, and bold. The organization has begun a process to create a workplace that genuinely values diversity and is equitable, inclusive, and accessible to all. We are committed to this eternal work and approach it with humility and intentionality.
Are you interested in working with a tight-knit team of people who care about each other and The Bay? Do you have experience in finance and administration? Would you like to use your business savvy to provide accounting and payroll support to a group of scientists, restoration experts, educators, policy advocates, and support teams who drive our mission? Look no further! Save The Bay is seeking a Staff Accountant. He/She/They will be responsible for the majority of Save The Bay’s day to day accounting tasks, including, processing payroll, recording donations, performing bank reconciliations, and monitoring the general ledger. This position will also assist in higher level accounting assignments, and help enhance business processes to increase efficiencies and effectiveness. We offer a flexible, mostly remote work environment and provide equipment as well as frequent virtual opportunities to connect.
REPORTS TO: Finance and Administrative Manager
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Record all income and manage financial accounting activities using QuickBooks. Create custom reports and train staff on its use.
- Manage and monitor company credit card use and reconcile credit card statements
- Monitor the general ledger, including but not limited to Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable
- Manage expense reporting software including uploading transactions, tech troubleshooting, supporting and training staff
- Manage banking including statement reconciliations, and cash flow in accordance to Save The Bay’s investment policy and FDIC insurance limits.
- Perform financial quarterly close tasks, including reconciliation of gifts between Salesforce and QuickBooks, accrual adjustments, and preparation of the profit and loss statement
- Assist F&A Manager with tax returns, annual financial audit, and miscellaneous projects
- Assist with W-2s, 1099s, and other forms with IRS, State and County agencies
- Manage finance-related miscellaneous projects
- Manage and process semi-monthly payroll using Paylocity; educate staff and answer related questions
- Onboard and train new employees
- Process new hire employee benefit enrollments: health, dental, vision, chiropractic, life, 403 (b) plan, FSA, and commuter benefits, along with terminations
- Manage HR-related miscellaneous projects
Administrative and Miscellaneous Support:
- Assist staff with insurance requests (certificates, worker’s comp claims)
- Assist with annual Worker’s Compensation Audit
- Keep Staff Accountant Manual up to date as processes change
- In conjunction with F&A Manager and CFO, train and remind staff on GAAP principles and STB financial policies
- Provide backup for Operations Manager including availability to come to the Oakland office to pick up mail, scan and make deposits as needed
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum three years’ experience in non-profit accounting, including payroll management
- Minimum of AA degree in Accounting or Finance is preferred or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in QuickBooks, MS Office Suite, CRM (Salesforce preferred), and online payroll platform (Paylocity preferred)
- Strong analytical and financial management skills
- Accuracy is your middle name
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to prioritize work and meet deadlines
- Keen communication skills and a natural desire to support and assist others
- Always handles confidential information with complete discretion
- Ability to work independently
- Pleasant, professional demeanor with a sense of humor
- Background check
Location: Our work is performed mostly remotely (apart from our Habitat Restoration Staff) with periodic in-person staff and team meetings in our office based in Oakland, CA, and our various restoration sites around the San Francisco Bay Area.
Start Date: The priority deadline for applications is 9/2/2022; Preferred start date is 10/17/2022.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, non-exempt, 40 hours per week position. The hourly range for this position is $30.00 to $33.00 per hour, based on experience. We offer an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, acupuncture/chiropractic, and life insurance; 12 paid vacation days per year to start, 13-14 paid holidays and 12 days of sick leave per calendar year; 403(b) retirement plan; stipend for working remotely and funds for home office workstation equipment and furniture.
Hiring Timeline (This is our ideal timeline, but it may be subject to changes):
- The deadline for applications is 9/2/2022
- We will review resumes and conduct interviews in September 2022
- Finalists will be invited to submit three references
- We would like to make an offer to a candidate by October 2022 and have the candidate start in October 2022
COVID-19 Policy: All new hires must be fully vaccinated prior to their start of employment unless they are pre-qualified by HR for exemption.
Save The Bay is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of all racial backgrounds, cultural backgrounds, gender expression and sexual orientation to apply. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and People of Color to apply.