Full-Time Southeastern Climate Justice Organizer
Department: Strategic Partnerships
Reports to: Strategic Partnership Manager-Climate Justice Initiative
Direct Reports: This position does not manage other positions
The Climate Reality Project, a nonprofit organization founded by former Vice President Al Gore, is offering a full-time, salary non-exempt position to work with the Strategic Partnerships Department. The Southeastern Climate Justice Organizer will play an integral role in supporting the regional buildout of Climate Reality’s climate justice work in the southeastern United States. The role will require the applicant to be self-motivated, team-oriented, and an efficient communicator.
General Overview: The Southeastern Climate Justice Organizer is responsible for supporting the Strategic Partnerships Manager in the buildout of Climate Reality’s regional and national climate justice efforts. This includes: assisting in the management of regional partnerships; tracking, scheduling, and attending partner calls; attending events as a representative of The Climate Reality Project; and the development of content supportive of these efforts. The organizer will also work on supporting regional environmental justice campaigns with partners. These tasks focus on increasing engagement and interaction between The Climate Reality Project and our regional work around environmental and climate justice.
The Climate Reality Project is headquartered in Washington, D.C. This will be a remote position, with the Organizer residing in the Southeastern United States (specifically, FL, GA, NC, TN or VA). Organizer must have the ability to travel once Covid-19 restrictions allow.
Successful applicants must be at least 18 years of age and will be asked to show proof that they can legally work in the United States.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist the Scholarships and Grants Manager in managing relationships with scholarship and grant recipients
- Work with the Strategic Partnerships Manager to cultivate and manage environmental and climate justice partnerships in the region to inform the organizational mission
- Participate in organizational conversations on environmental and climate justice
- Support the Strategic Partnerships Manager in the buildout of our Climate Justice Initiative
- Identify EJ/CJ organizations in the Southeast with whom to cultivate partnerships
- Work with Climate Reality’s Science and Solutions team to develop external content to support partner campaigns approved by the Strategic Partnerships Team
- Populate and manage a climate justice calendar to include partner events and CSN events
- Work with the Engagement Team to look for opportunities to collaborate with Climate Reality chapters and partner organizations for joint work specifically, connecting Climate Reality Chapters to support regional partner campaigns
- Coordinate with other Climate Reality departments supporting climate justice work and outreach as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Relevant college degree or 3-5 years or more of relevant experience in grassroots organizing (a focus on environmental justice issues highly encouraged)
- Experience in working with communities to cultivate topical knowledge and mobilizing around issues
- A working knowledge of the United States environmental justice movement preferred
- Ability to travel as needed once Covid-19 allows
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Effective organizational/project management skills working across multiple teams
- Attention to detail and adherence to deadlines
- Excellent soft skills that allow for pushing for on-time delivery without negatively impacting morale
- Solution oriented in the management of potential challenges
- Capable of balancing multiple priorities effectively
- Demonstrable strategic thinker and problem-solving acumen
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and committed to excellence
- Capable of working well with a variety of personalities and leadership styles
- Low ego and high output
- Personal commitment to Climate Reality’s mission and demonstrated knowledge of climate and environmental issues
- Proficient computer skills (MS Office and database management)
The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities, and termination.
How to ApplyPlease send a cover letter, resume, and references to Partnershipsjobs@climatereality.com Application deadline July 30th, 2021
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405