Part-Time Software Engineer
FoWO (the Federation of WWOOF Organisations) is looking for an experienced web engineer for its Common WWOOF Platform (CWP) project. FoWO IT committee is in need of a part time engineer initially, with possibilities to become a full time job in the future.
Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF) is a worldwide movement to link visitors with organic farmers, promote a cultural and educational exchange, and build a global community conscious of ecological farming and sustainability practices. In 2012, FoWO was created to act as a democratic organisation for national WWOOF groups to work together worldwide. FoWO’s mission is to unite, promote, protect and support the WWOOF movement around the world. The CWP is the Common WWOOF Platform used by the 30+ member organisations (national WWOOF groups) of FoWO. We are currently developing the 2nd version of the CWP and we are looking to bring an additional engineer onto the team.
We need an engineer to be integrated into the FoWO IT Team to learn, maintain and expand the Common WWOOF Platform, which is based on Node and Ember.js. With dozens of national WWOOF organisations in the on-boarding queue for the 2nd version of the platform, there is a big load to enrol all these countries in the platform, configure their solutions, import members data and maintain and expand the platform.
Joining the FOWO IT team should be seen as an opportunity to help the WWOOF movement evolve into an exciting new phase of its existence, and to expand the CWP system into its new iteration. Once all groups have migrated to the 2nd version of the CWP, this position will continue to maintain and further develop the platform and provide service to the national WWOOF organisations.
This role is for an engineer with experience building and developing platforms, apps, and website functionality, and who wishes to contribute to the WWOOF movement with work and innovation as part of an expanding and long term IT team.
We are looking for a software engineer with experience ideally in both front-end and backend development, also with a Devops facet as he/she probably may help in deploying code in our Kubernetes infrastructure that runs our pods.
The engineer will take responsibility for diverse IT tasks from debugging to design and implementing new features and functionalities, establishing and guiding the website’s architecture and direction, ensuring high-performance and availability, and managing as much as possible all technical aspects. This will be done working always closely with other contractors or engineers, IT team members, and customers (CWP members) to ensure an effective implementation of the requested features.
- Experience creating web apps using a modern front-end framework (React, Angular, Ember.js…)
- Experience designing responsive web apps with a mobile-first approach (we use Bootstrap)
- Experience querying relational databases (MySQL, Postgres…)
- Experience deploying code with Docker/Kubernetes
- Experience creating native apps with React Native
- Comfortable working with debugging tools like Firebug, Chrome inspector, etc.
- Thorough understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (e.g. Requirements, Design, Development, Testing) and exposure to Agile or iterative SDLCs.
- Knowledge of DNS management, online security
- Work under FoWO IT committee direction
- Work remotely with own computer
- Attend online meetings 1-2 hours weekly, sometimes in non conventional hours to accommodate different time zones
- Verbal and written communication in English
- Keep log of work, submit invoices, and be monitored for progress
- About 20 hours / week (first 6 months) with a view to possibly increase thereafter
- Contracted position
- Hourly rate 33 – 38 EUR / hour
How to Apply
- Submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references here.
- Deadline to apply: April 22, 2022
- Preferred start date: May 16, 2022