Full-Time Senior Sustainability Lead
Job Location: United States: New York: New York
Role Value Proposition:
The Senior Sustainability Lead is part of the Global Sustainability function in MetLife Corporate Affairs. The position is tasked with for managing and advancing critical elements of the company’s sustainability program. Responsibilities include leading strategy development, implementing new projects, earning industry recognition for sustainability accomplishments, and enhancing reporting to both internal and external stakeholders.
The Senior Sustainability Lead will work across the organization to drive new opportunities for sustainability advancement in key areas such as carbon footprint management, corporate real estate, procurement, finance, global operations and risk management. The person is expected to communicate effectively with all departments and ultimately deliver value across our global organization. The person must have a thorough understanding of environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues including carbon accounting, green building practices, sustainable finance, climate change risks, diversity & inclusion, resource and water conservation, greenhouse gas emissions reduction strategies along with external regulatory and market trends.
This individual will drive global operating efficiencies, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, minimize reputational risks, enhance the MetLife Brand and position the company as an industry leader on ESG issues.
Quantitative dimensions include: operating budget, energy consumption, greenhouse gas emissions, ESG investing dollar amounts, carbon accounting, fossil fuel exposure, water consumption, run rate, green revenue, ESG investor scores, energy intensity (energy per sq ft. or energy per FTE), etc.
Areas of Responsibility Include:
Carbon Footprint Management
- Manage and oversee the data governance for environmental sustainability data by collaborating with key internal functions such as Real Estate & Corporate Services, Procurement, Human Resources, Investments, etc.
- Oversee the analysis and reporting of key environmental sustainability performance metrics (ex. green building GHG emissions, energy, water, waste, etc.) of over 15MM sq. ft. across 1,100+ global office locations and business partners across the company.
- Lead disclosure of environmental KPIs for MetLife’s Sustainability Report, external ESG frameworks, public sustainability rankings and investor indices including Dow Jones, CDP, MSCI, Sustainalytics, etc.
- Partner with business units across organization to identify opportunities to reduce GHG emissions and overall carbon footprint over time
- Manage annual carbon neutrality offset and renewable energy instrument purchases to ensure MetLife is maintaining its public commitments through a cost-effective, impactful manner
- Oversee external, third party assurance of MetLife’s environmental sustainability data to ISO-14064-3 to ensure data quality and improve performance on external rankings
- ESG Risks/Issues Management
- Stay abreast of changing landscape of ESG issues that impact the company, including review of external sources to understand emerging issues and how they impact the company
- Identify, assess and manage company ESG risks and opportunities. Assess queries from external stakeholders on ESG issues and collaborate with internal stakeholders to gather relevant policies, procedures, etc. to develop appropriate responses
- Monitor ESG and sustainability reporting trends and assess reputational and strategic impacts of business initiatives
- Drive the business case and manage the governance process for thought leadership initiatives based on analysis of the company’s potential in key areas relevant to the business and public policy goals
Sustainability/ESG Strategy Development and Integration
- Contribute to the development of a comprehensive sustainability/ESG strategy for MetLife that aligns to our businesses, the brand, and creates value for internal and external stakeholders (customers, investors, government, industry organizations, communities, etc.)
- Drive integration of the new strategy and approach into the organization
- Lead research and provide analytical insight to help support the strategic direction of MetLife Sustainability Strategy
- Collaborate with business units, regional leadership teams and other internal stakeholders across the company to identify key sustainability challenges and opportunities to advance new and existing programs
Environmental Sustainability Program
- Help lead oversight and achievement of new 2030 environmental goals
- Collaborate with Real Estate & Corporate Services to drive green & healthy building initiatives, greenhouse gas emissions reduction strategies and energy management best practices across our 40+ country, global real estate portfolio
- Partner with Global Procurement and other key functional areas to drive execution of MetLife’s Supply Chain Sustainability Program
- Spearhead implementation of new climate change strategies, awareness of existing programs and alignment of key initiatives across the company’s global enterprise
- Represent MetLife by participating in external programs and industry partnerships (ex. UN Global Compact, EPA, CDP, PRI, Energy Star, LEED, etc.) to increase public recognition for company’s sustainability efforts
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working on sustainability, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), ESG issues broadly.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Sustainability, Engineering, Sustainable Development or related field required
- Deep expertise on environmental and climate change issues
- Experience managing and implementing corporate sustainability programs
- Experience in a Sustainability, Operations, Real Estate, Procurement, Public Affairs and/or Communications role.
- Knowledge of corporate sustainability, green buildings, environmental social and governance (ESG) risks, sustainability development, and supply chain management required
- Knowledge of sustainability standards, tools, and reporting mechanisms (ex. GHG protocol, CDP, GRI, SASB, etc.), and emerging practices (ex. FSB TCFD, UN Sustainable Development Goals, Diversity & Inclusion commitments, etc.)
- Demonstrated excellence in understanding brand building and integrating sustainability into the company’s strategy and implementation efforts
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills and outstanding relationship building skills at all levels of the organization, including senior executives.
- Proven track record of collaborating across a matrixed organization to build alignment on, and advance, key strategies
- Excellent skills developing and managing relationships across a multitude of internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong project management skills, attention to detail.
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills – written, oral, PowerPoint/Visual
- Strong ability to collaborate across the organization and drive a shared agenda that recognizes and supports business needs.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to track, measure and identify business improvement solutions
- Experience working at a Fortune 200 company or consultancy/agency focused on CSR, sustainability, ESG issues and/or corporate affairs.
- Experience working in a corporate environment.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine’s 2021 list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.”
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.