Full-Time Senior Planner – Sustainability
Are you looking for a challenging role within an organization that provides rewarding compensation, an excellent benefit package and career growth opportunities? If so, Lake County Government is the place for you. Comprised of nearly 3,000 employees, it is our goal to positively serve the residents of Lake County while working with a purpose. We believe our employees should take pride in the work they accomplish while truly respecting a collaborative work environment.
Lake County is seeking an experienced, dedicated professional who will serve as project manager for special projects and policy development related to various planning and zoning topics and sustainability initiatives.
Depending on the assignment, the incumbent may perform a combination of some or all the following duties, and perform related duties as assigned:
- Perform advanced professional work related to a variety of planning assignments.
- Conduct research and analysis on special topics pertaining to planning, zoning, and development issues.
- Develop plans, reports, and policy recommendations on special topics and long-range studies.
- Review zoning ordinances and prepare amendments by identifying and researching necessary changes to improve ordinances and implement County policies
- Organize and direct major projects such as developing or revising plans, studies, and ordinances amendments.
- Assist in departmental efforts to further sustainability goals, objectives, and policies of the Lake County Board.
- Assist in agenda development and presentation of complex reports and recommendations to the Lake County Public Works, Planning & Transportation Committee, the Lake County Energy and Environment Committee, and other community partners.
- Act as a liaison for the Planning Division with other County departments on sustainability issues.
- Contribute to development of department performance indicators and reports.
- Oversee content management of the department website and provide technical expertise and assistance for public meetings and hearings.
- Assist in review of land use and development applications.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge Skills Abilities and Education Required:
- Ability to apply excellent listening, reasoning, and problem-solving skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with County staff, public officials, community leaders, other agencies, internal and external stakeholders, and the public
- Demonstrated knowledge or experience in planning principles and policies including land use green building, energy, climate change, and accessible housing.
- Demonstrated skills in research, analytical analysis, and report preparation.
- Ability to work both individually and in cross-disciplinary teams
- Ability to clearly and concisely present recommendations and findings, both verbally and in writing.
- General knowledge of computers and software, including Microsoft Office suite and video conferencing platforms.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for facilitating relationships with elected/appointed officials and other decision makers.
- Creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve less well-defined planning problems
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously, manage projects effectively, and meet firm deadlines.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Master’s Degree in planning or related field required.
- 2 years’ professional planning experience and AICP certification preferred.
- Experience with sustainability and environmental policies and practices.
- Working knowledge of planning principles and practices.
- Valid Driver’s License supplemented by a satisfactory driving record
Physical Demands of the Position
Requires mainly office work, involving standing or walking some of the time, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a regular basis, and high dexterity in operating office equipment, including a keyboard, phone, copier, etc.
The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision and the ability to hear and speak to understand, respond to, and build relationships with a diverse clientele.
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package. We also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and training program. Visit our Prospective Employee page to get additional information on why you should work for Lake County! Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
Lake County is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.