Full-Time Senior Manager, Just Global Energy Transition
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
This position can be performed 100% remotely or on a hybrid arrangement out of any other US-based EDF office location – candidates must currently reside in and be based out of the United States.
Under the direction of the Director for Just Policy Solutions, the Senior Manager, Just Global Energy Transition will be responsible for day-to-day oversight and collaboration to catalyze applying a justice lens and promoting equitable outcomes within EDF efforts related to a global clean energy transition. This includes EDF’s work on methane, emerging technologies such as hydrogen and CCS, decarbonizing electricity, and moving beyond gas and other fossil fuels. The position is housed within EDF’s Justice and Equity team but will collaborate laterally across many teams and projects within EDF.
The Senior Manager will help shape and implement our justice and equity strategy related to the global clean energy transition.
Primary activities include:
- Advise on the development of programmatic and strategic directions for work related to the global energy transition across the organization.
- Build, refine, and adapt EDF’s EJ Strategic plan, first adopted by the EDF board in fall 2022, as it relates to EDF’s work on the global clean energy transition.
- Identify, execute, and coordinate necessary research and analysis critical to informing and advancing justice and equity priorities as they relate to the Just Energy Transition.
- Provide justice and equity related guidance, mentorship, and thought partnership through coordination and effective communication with EDF staff and consultants across multiple programs, drawn from the subject matter expertise and fluency with equity and justice considerations
- Proactively identify emerging strategic linkages across Mission areas – including our technical/subject matter experts, as well as our regional teams in China, India, Europe, and US – on issues related to the global energy transition, help facilitate dialogue to assess new opportunities and anticipate potential challenges when necessary
- Collaborate seamlessly with external partners critical to the program’s success. Maintain external relationships with key stakeholders as needed to support the work.
- Represent EDF at various conferences and other public speaking engagements and provide expert level information.
- Manage internal staff and consultants, as needed.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
The successful applicant will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Eight years professional experience in a field related to the global just energy transition.
- Advanced degree in policy, economics or law in areas related to energy and climate preferred, or comparable substantive expertise.
- Preferred knowledge in one or more technical topics related to the global energy transition (e.g. critical minerals sciences) and experience working broadly across interdisciplinary topics and quickly acquiring and deploying knowledge within a new field of inquiry.
- Experience translating technical knowledge for a policy audience and developing policy positions that require technical knowledge and expertise.
- Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence. Willing to work primarily in a collaborative team structure but capable of operating independently when needed.
- Keen strategic capacity, and ability to develop and refine as needed an optimized strategy given technical, policy, legal, and political considerations.
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex projects with numerous team members in a fast-paced working environment, and a high capacity for working collaboratively across multiple programs.
- Experience working successfully as an authentic partner with communities bearing the brunt of environmental and climate injustice preferred.
- Clear, concise and engaging verbal and written communicator.
- Willingness to travel.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
$101,000 – $112,000 USD/Yr.
How to Apply
How to Apply
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/senior-manager-just-global-energy-transition