Full-Time Senior Legislative Associate/Legislative Counsel
The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking a Senior Legislative Associate/ Legislative Counsel with four to six years of experience, or more, to join its Federal Affairs team in Washington, D.C. This is an excellent opportunity to join a highly successful, nationally recognized organization that is effectively addressing some of the most pressing and challenging environmental issues throughout the South and the nation.
This position will report directly to our Director of Federal Affairs / Washington D.C. Office Director. This is a 3-year position with the possibility of a longer-term assignment. A graduate degree is preferred but not essential, although a JD is required for the Legislative Counsel position. Candidates without a JD will qualify for the Sr. Legislative Associate position/title.
Although our offices are currently closed and staff are working from home, we plan to reopen our offices in April 2022 and will implement a hybrid work model of at least 3 in-office working days and 2 at-home working days, per week. We’re requiring all staff to be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination to work in our offices.
About the Position:
SELC’s Federal Affairs team works in Congress and federal agencies to advance policy objectives that enhance environmental protection and quality of life in the Southeast. The team is closely connected with attorneys in our offices across the region and brings SELC’s law and policy expertise to bear on federal policymaking.
- This person must be able to work independently and take the lead on issues.
- The ideal candidate is prepared to develop and execute a legislative or administrative advocacy strategy in coordination with our attorneys, communications professionals, and others both in our organization and externally.
- Additionally, duties include building and maintaining a network, representing SELC at coalition meetings, working with SELC policy and legal staff to develop support materials, and providing additional support to the legislative team as necessary.
- We are seeking a highly motivated individual with four to six or more years of experience in legislative and/or environmental policy making, a strong work ethic and sense of initiative.
- Experience on Capitol Hill, in an Administration position, or in an advocacy role at an NGO is required.
- The successful applicant will have excellent academic credentials, strong writing, communication and interpersonal skills, a demonstrated ability to work well in a collegial setting, and a strong personal commitment to SELC’s mission.
- A graduate degree is preferred but not essential, although a JD is required for the Legislative Counsel position.
The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South. With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of over 200, including more than 100 attorneys, and is headquartered in Charlottesville, VA., with offices in Asheville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and Washington, DC.
At our core, we are place-based, rooted in our region, and connected with the communities and clients we serve. We believe in an equitable and inclusive workplace that reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of our region and allows diverse perspectives to come to the forefront. We approach our work with the highest level of integrity, holding ourselves to high standards with an emphasis on honesty, accountability, and thoughtfulness. We value collaboration and camaraderie, realizing we are strongest when we work together and knowing that everyone has a critical role to play. We strive for impact through a strategic, bold, pragmatic, and ambitious outlook that is dedicated to achieving powerful results. We believe in these values and in the power of SELC. We hope you consider joining us. Learn more at https://www.southernenvironment.org/.
SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental nonprofits nationally and provides an excellent benefits package. For more details about our benefits, please visit our Careers page.
How to Apply
- If you have these qualifications and are seeking a challenging and rewarding environmental advocacy position, click here to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. There is no deadline for applications. We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled so interested persons should apply immediately. Start date is as soon as possible.
- SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive workplace environment. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this commitment. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflects the rich racial and culture diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.