Full-Time Senior Land Use Field Representative – Albemarle & Orange
Title: Senior Land Use Field Representative – Albemarle & Greene
Location: Charlottesville PEC Office
Job Classification: Full Time – Exempt
Geographic Focus: Albemarle County and Greene County
Supervisor: Deputy Director of Land Use
The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization that has proudly promoted and protected the natural resources, rural economy, history and beauty of the Virginia Piedmont since 1972. PEC works with area residents to weigh in on important land use and policy decisions, conserve land, protect air and water quality, celebrate historic resources, build smart transportation networks, promote sustainable energy choices, restore wildlife habitat and improve people’s access to nature.
PEC is seeking to hire a field representative to work on land use issues in Albemarle County and Greene County. Land use issues include the locality’s comprehensive plan and ordinances, development proposals, transportation planning and specific projects, local policies and regulations related to rural land preservation and conservation, economic development, natural and historic resource protection, and others as needed.
Field representatives are responsible for gathering, analyzing, and distributing information on local development projects, advocating for sensible solutions and working with local residents and local government in all activities associated with a community’s land use policies and regulations. Field representative qualifications include energy, dedication, and the ability to inspire and work well with the community at-large. Specific skills include familiarity with land use planning, rural area protection, urban area development and facilitation of public input into the local government planning process. Examples of activities include:
- Monitoring and reviewing current and pending land use planning, transportation, and development activities and generating PEC response, when appropriate.
- Attending local government meetings (as needed) and participating in relevant committees and technical workgroups.
- Serving as a technical resource on land use issues, for both local government officials and the broader community.
- Advocating for and against specific land use policies and proposals.
- Establishing and stewarding a grassroots network that supports PEC’s mission.
- Working directly with citizens and allied organizations to organize the public around campaigns, policies and outcomes supportive of the PEC mission, including adoption of language in the counties’ comprehensive plans and support or opposition to specific land use threats and opportunities.
- Regularly updating PEC Board members, other PEC staff, and members of local advisory committees on land use, conservation, and transportation issues affecting the communities served by the Field Representative.
- Collaborating with PEC communications and development staff to secure appropriate funding and highlight the benefits of PEC’s work in the region.
- Track and log interactions with supporters in our CRM database.
The field representative reports to PEC’s director of state policy, but will also work closely with other field representatives, departments within PEC, and members of the PEC Board of Directors.
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, landscape architecture or a related field and a minimum of 5 years work experience is required. Graduate degree preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of local land use planning and zoning in Virginia is preferred.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills, both written and oral, including ability to write, edit, and proofread written materials for use in communicating with the PEC Board of Directors, PEC staff, PEC members, and the public at large.
- Ability to organize, coordinate and manage diverse activities and deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a diverse constituency including elected officials, non-profit representatives, neighborhood associations, and individual citizens with a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives.
- Experience working with local residents and/or community organizations, particularly in leading public outreach and/or education campaigns.
- Knowledge and experience with Google Suite and Microsoft Office productivity software.
- Requires minimal supervision.
- Willing to work some weekends and evenings.
- Valid driver’s and reliable transportation required.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
Salary range is $60,000-$75,000 depending on qualifications and experience.
PEC offers an outstanding benefits package including health, dental, vision, short and long term disability and term life insurance, a 403(b) employee pension plan, HSA and FSA options and some employer-paid additional supplemental insurance benefits including accident, critical illness, and hospital indemnity. Upon employment, you will be entitled to paid holidays and will begin accruing personal leave as designated in the PEC Employee Handbook. PEC also offers employees one day of leave per year to perform volunteer work.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
The Piedmont Environmental Council is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from women and persons of color are encouraged. Resume reviews begin immediately.
How to Apply
- Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Piedmont Environmental Council is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from women and persons of color are encouraged. Resume reviews begin immediately.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405