Full-Time Senior Engineer – Codes & Standards (Nationwide – Energy Solutions offices & Remote Eligible)
Interested in joining a growing company where you will work with talented colleagues, enhance a supportive and energetic culture, and be part of the climate solution? At Energy Solutions, we focus on the big impacts, none larger than our work supporting more efficient codes and standards. And we believe that these standards along with market-based programs can be a powerful force to deliver large-scale energy, carbon and water-use savings. For 28 years, we’ve harnessed that power to offer proven, performance-based solutions for our utility, government, and institutional customers.
We are currently seeking a full-time Senior Engineer to join our Codes and Standards Department. As a member of the Energy Solutions team, you will have a broad impact on state, national and international energy markets through our work for major utilities, local and state governments, and other national leaders in energy efficiency policy. This unique opportunity, paired with Energy Solutions’ mission driven approach, creates a perfect environment for individuals who want to apply their skills and energy towards an expeditious transition to a low carbon future.
The candidate selected to fill this position will have experience working on energy efficiency and demand management related projects and technologies and should have familiarity with energy systems such as HVAC, refrigeration, water heating, energy storage, and other systems common in residential, commercial, and industrial spaces. The ideal candidate will combine a technical background with strong project management and communication skills. This includes well-developed writing and public speaking skills and the ability to articulate complex technical topics to a range of clients, regulatory agency staff, industry members and less technical stakeholders. This candidate will manage and provide strategic guidance to small teams of engineers focused on advancing state and national energy and demand management policy. A track record of successful codes and standards strategy development and stakeholder engagement is especially helpful, including experience with state and federal codes and standards proceedings, test procedure development, negotiated rulemakings, model codes and reach/stretch codes.
Daily responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead the overall direction, management, quality control, and completion of engineering project deliverables, within budget and on schedule, with minimal oversight. Monitor the progress of technical projects and communicating progress to managers and clients
- Develop and lead both short-term and long-term strategies to optimize energy savings, load management potential, and GHG reductions through codes and standards or other energy policy proposals
- Analyze the savings, costs, and other impacts of energy efficient and low carbon technologies in the context of energy policy
- Oversee product testing and other primary data collection strategies needed to fill data gaps in policy settings
- Participate in industry working groups and technical committees in support of voluntary or mandatory standards and test procedure updates
- Develop strategic partnerships with industry stakeholders to ensure policy proposals are feasible, equitable, and have ample stakeholder support
- Write reports on technical topics, such as Title 24 code change proposal reports, including energy savings analyses, cost-effectiveness analyses, and market impacts analyses
- Develop and deliver presentations on technical topics to a variety of audiences, including clients, government agency decision makers, engineers, and other stakeholders
- Represent clients in public meetings, negotiated rulemakings, and in publicly docketed comments
- Provide oversight and guidance for supporting staff and other team members contributing to all of the above activities
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering, or in an energy- or policy-related discipline with a quantitative background
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience
- Strong organizational and management skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills, demonstrated ability to write reports, technical papers, and provide technical presentations to knowledgeable audiences
- Experience representing large organizations in public meetings, including government hearings
- Track record of success working in collaborative roles with diverse teams of partners and industry stakeholders
- Experience in the development process of Title 24, ASHRAE 90.1, ASHRAE 189.2, IECC, or other energy codes
- Experience in the development process of California’s Title 20, US DOE’s Appliance Standards Program, EPA’s Energy Star Program, or other state, national, or international appliance or equipment standards efforts.
- Eagerness to learn and take on new challenges to support our company’s mission
- Willingness to conduct occasional business travel
- Provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination
Salary DOE: $92k – $125k/Annually
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a generous retirement package. Energy Solutions provides an excellent benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, other pre-tax contribution plans and an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP).
To apply for this position please visit https://energy-soution.com/company/careers/
For more information about Energy Solutions, please visit us on our website at www.energy-solution.com.
Information will be requested to perform the compulsory background check, drug screens are required and permanent authorization to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment. Energy Solutions is an equal opportunity employer.