Full-Time Senior Director, Midwest
NOTE: This position will ideally be based in Chicago but other Midwestern states will be considered.
Vote Solar’s mission is to repower the U.S. with clean energy by making solar power more accessible and affordable through effective policy advocacy. We are a non-profit organization with headquarters in Oakland, CA, and offices in Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Mexico, North Carolina, Utah, Vermont, and Washington, D.C.
Vote Solar is seeking to fill a senior leadership role on our staff. The Senior Director, Midwest role will set strategy and manage staff in the Midwest, and will be point on the following activities:
Strategy & Thought Leadership:
- Work with Midwestern staff to develop Vote Solar’s legislative and regulatory strategy for the Midwest. This will involve developing a deep understanding of solar policy needs and opportunities in target states across our five program areas of rooftop solar, community solar, utility-scale solar, grid modernization, and access & equity.
- Help develop policy positions on national solar policy issues; become an expert on complex solar policy issues.
- Act as liaison to funders in the Midwest.
- Act as ambassador for the organization at key events across the Midwest.
Campaign Guidance & Oversight:
Provide guidance to staff on how to run comprehensive regulatory and legislative campaigns to advance solar policy. Elements of this work include:
- Build champions for solar policy through high-level relationship building and education of key policymakers in the Midwest.
- Ensure that our work in the Midwest advances equitable energy policies and programs that will benefit underserved communities.
- Provide thought leadership to direct reports on how to leverage grassroots supporters and key influencers to turn solar’s broad popularity into effective political power.
- Provide guidance to staff on how to build inclusive partnerships within coalitions to increase the effectiveness and authenticity of our campaigns.
- Ensure top-notch communications plans in the Midwest by ensuring direct reports are working with our internal communications team to plan and implementing media and social media plans to support campaign objectives.
- In some situations, this role may directly manage a campaign.
- Thoughtfully and effectively manage a team of high performing staff. Conduct annual reviews, set professional development goals.
- Manage across diversity and manage with an inclusive lens to ensure all staff are valued at Vote Solar.
- Partner with the Executive Strategy Team on operation issues, annual planning, and retreats.
- The ideal candidate is a high-level strategist who knows their way around the legislative and regulatory arenas in the Midwest, and who has demonstrated success in the realm of energy policy advocacy.
- Expertise on solar energy policy in the Midwest.
- Applicants should have at least five years of experience working on legislative or regulatory campaigns, or other transferable policy work.
- Empathetic and flexible management skills (ideally upwards of 2 years of mgmt. experience)
- A personal commitment to building an inclusive and supportive work environment.
- Compelling communication skills, including the ability to speak in public and with media outlets.
- Strong relationships with Midwestern stakeholders, especially environmental justice groups, environmental groups and the solar industry.
- Experience working in diverse coalitions and approaching coalition building in an inclusive and thoughtful manner.
- Experience managing budgets and paid consultants.
The salary range for this position is $115,000 – $135,000. Vote Solar provides full-time staff with a competitive package of benefits, including 3 weeks paid vacation in year one, four weeks starting in year two, plus sick time, and best-in-class health care and retirement savings plans.
This position will ideally be based in Chicago but other Midwestern states will be considered. As this position will require some regional travel, proximity to transportation hubs is important. Workplace arrangements can be flexible, including options to work from home. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage people of color, women and those who identify as LGBTQ to apply.
Start Date: ASAP