Full-Time Senior Compliance Specialist
Who We Are: Friends of the Earth (FOE) is a national not for profit environmental organization that strives for a healthier and more just world. We push for the reforms that are needed. It’s an approach that has worked for five decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
What We Look For: Are you driven to manage the organizations’ lobby and electoral compliance and keep things moving to best support staff? Are you passionate about helping ensure the organization runs smoothly and maintains compliant operations? Can you maintain a contract management system, renew state charity registrations, and maintain active legal status of the organization’s trademarks and copyrights? Are you able to manage processes and best practices for organization-wide lobby activity tracking and reporting?
If so, this is the position for you. We want you to succeed and we want to pay you a competitive wage that is in line with your experience. The salary range for this full-time role in the Washington, DC office or remote position is $63,000–$71,000 Offers are determined based on relevant skills and experience required for the position.
Relationship Builder: Acting as the point of contact with general counsel on lobby reporting and coordinating with external lobbyists and legal counsel to prepare accurate lobby reports. Coordinate with external legal counsel to annually review the organization’s state charity registrations.
Results Oriented: Maintain and track Friends of the Earth and Friends of the Earth Action’s compliance with all state and local lobby reporting requirements and compliance with all federal, state and local electoral reporting requirements, as needed. Manage processes and best practices for organization-wide lobby activity tracking and lobby reporting. Assists with the implementation and maintenance of a contract management software.
Organized Contributor: Able to manage multiple projects and tasks at once in a self-directed manner, ability to work collaboratively as part of a fast-moving and results-oriented team. Maintain the organizations copyrights and trademarks, US Census reports, legal occupancy and business license documentation, and maintain records of legal guidance accordingly. Responsible for submitting expense requests for compliance-related vendors.
Social Justice and Racial Equity Lens: Builds authentic relationships across lines of difference, such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, gender identity, citizenship status, or other identities. Follows through on commitments.
- Four to seven years of compliance experience, preferably in a non-profit environment
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Knowledge and understanding of lobby reporting, and ability to communicate professionally with legal counsel
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and tasks at once in a self-directed manner, ability to work collaboratively as part of a fast-moving and results-oriented team
- Excellent communication and organizational skills with a high attention to detail and ability to maintain complete confidentiality of information
- All candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. FOE does not sponsor any employment related visas.
- Experience with a contract management system
- Ability to quickly learn new tracking systems and software
- High degree of professional initiative, flexibility, and accountability
- A sense of urgency and a strong work ethic, and an ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
Perks & Benefits:
We are a generous employer with benefits that will take care of you. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision coverage (80% for eligible dependents)
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Matching effective Day 1 (3% match)
- Generous Leave (Vacation-minimum 2 weeks to start, 12 Holidays, Sick, Parental, Sabbatical and More)
- Education Reimbursement and Employee Assistance Program
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.