Full-Time Senior Climate Campaigner (DC, San Francisco, or Oakland)
ABOUT THE JOB
Greenpeace believes that climate change is the most urgent problem facing our planet right now, and the window for meaningful action is closing fast. Corporations and governments lack ambition, and in many cases are actively obstructing climate solutions.
Greenpeace is hiring a Senior Climate Campaigner to use their campaigning skills to lead projects and teams to deliver key pieces of Greenpeace’s climate campaign using moments of creative confrontation, working with allies and our supporters to build our organization’s power and impact and strategic smarts to make sure that our climate campaigns are as effective as possible.
This is a full time, exempt, benefits eligible position reporting to Janet Redman, the Climate Director, who is based in Washington, DC. Note that this role can work from either Washington, DC: San Francisco or Oakland, California.
THIS ROLE WILL:
- Identify campaign opportunities in the external world and develop and deliver campaign strategies and interventions that move GPUS closer to our agreed campaign objectives.
- Creatively communicate climate issues, opportunities and interventions, especially through Greenpeace social media channels and via other platforms to reach, inspire and engage our supporters and allies.
- Represent Greenpeace US among external partners and in the media, and work within coalition spaces to further campaign and organizational goals.
- Work with GP grassroots, online and engagement staff to identify and act on strategic opportunities to mobilize GP’s network of supporters and activists.
- Contribute and cultivate issue expertise on climate issues within teams
- Line manage individuals and coordinate teams as needed.
- A min of six (6) years experience in developing and delivering campaigns.
- Campaign strategy skills, including experience in setting campaign objectives, developing a critical pathway/campaign strategy to achieve these, and selecting an effective series of interventions that strengthens our supporter base and meets the campaign objectives.
- Ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams through a process of developing and delivering a specific campaign, successfully ensuring that the team’s outputs deliver on campaign objectives.
- Proven track record of reaching and inspiring people online to take action both online & offline in a way that builds long term power for the organization.
- Organizational skills, including experience with running fast paced, creative, engaging activist projects and campaigns project administration (budgets, reporting, etc.)
- Proven understanding of and ability with social media practices, principles and implementation.
- Strong presentation skills, written and oral; comfort speaking to the public, Greenpeace supporters, allies and the media.
- Commitment to nonviolence as a means of effecting change.
- Experience working in coalitions, including cross-cultural, cross-movement sector.
- General knowledge of climate-related topics desired but not essential if eager to dive in and learn.
Only applicants eligible to work and live in the United States without any legal restrictions need apply for this opportunity