Full-Time Senior Attorney (Chapel Hill, NC)
The Southern Environmental Law Center is accepting applications for a Senior Attorney position in our Chapel Hill, North Carolina office. This position will report to our North Carolina Office Director.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of an organization that is successfully addressing some of the most important and challenging energy and environmental issues in the South and the nation. This attorney will advocate and litigate on environmental matters throughout North Carolina. This position is open to practicing attorneys with seven or more years of experience, and start date is as soon as possible.
SELC currently has a hybrid work model of at least 3 in-office working days and 2 at-home working days, per week. We’re requiring all staff to be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination to work in our offices.
- Litigates cases in state and federal courts, including developing and implementing case strategy, conducting legal research, drafting pleadings, motions, briefs and other legal documents, and representing clients in court.
- Participates in administrative proceedings before regulatory agencies, including researching and drafting comments and engaging in public speaking.
- Develops and maintains expertise in law and policy developments in one or more of SELC’s program areas, such as coast and wetlands, land and community, air, or water quality.
- Works collaboratively with state office and regional program teams.
- Has excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to build and maintain effective relationships with a diverse set of partners and clients.
- Represents SELC effectively in meetings with external partner groups and other stakeholders.
- Manages multidisciplinary projects, including developing and implementing work plans involving SELC’s communications and geospatial teams as well as consulting experts. This may include case investigation and development.
- Communicates clearly and simply about litigation and program work with SELC’s communications, development and marketing teams.
- Has a strong personal commitment to SELC’s mission, including SELC’s deep commitment to being an open, welcoming, diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization.
- Seven or more years of professional experience
- Strong litigation skills, unwavering work ethic, and a sense of initiative.
- The ideal candidate will be a skilled and multi-faceted lawyer with excellent academic credentials, litigation experience, a background in environmental law, effective communication and interpersonal skills, a demonstrated ability to work well in a collegial setting, and a strong personal commitment to SELC’s mission.
The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South. With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of over 200, including more than 100 attorneys, and is headquartered in Charlottesville, VA., with offices in Asheville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and Washington, DC.
At our core, we are place-based, rooted in our region, and connected with the communities and clients we serve. We believe in an equitable and inclusive workplace that reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of our region and allows diverse perspectives to come to the forefront. We approach our work with the highest level of integrity, holding ourselves to high standards with an emphasis on honesty, accountability, and thoughtfulness. We value collaboration and camaraderie, realizing we are strongest when we work together and knowing that everyone has a critical role to play. We strive for impact through a strategic, bold, pragmatic, and ambitious outlook that is dedicated to achieving powerful results. We believe in these values and in the power of SELC. We hope you consider joining us. Learn more at www.southernenvironment.org.
SELC offers salaries competitive with leading national environmental non-profits and an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply
- To Apply: To apply, click here to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and one writing sample. Interested persons should apply immediately. There is no deadline for applications. We intend to fill this position as soon as possible and will accept and review applications until the position is filled.
- SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive workplace environment. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this commitment. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.