Full-Time Senior Associate, Lenfest Ocean Program
The Pew Charitable Trusts uses data to make a difference. For more than 70 years, we have focused on serving the public, invigorating civic life, conducting nonpartisan research, advancing effective public policies and practices, and achieving tangible results. Through rigorous inquiry and knowledge sharing, we inform and engage public-spirited citizens and organizations, linking diverse interests to pursue common cause. We are a dedicated team of researchers, communicators, advocates, subject matter experts, and professionals working on some of today’s big challenges – and we know we are more effective and creative collectively than we are individually. With Philadelphia as our hometown and the majority of our staff located in Washington, D.C., our U.S. and international staff find working at Pew personally and professionally rewarding.
The Research and Science Portfolio in Program
The research and science portfolio includes programmatic, functional, and outreach elements. It spans all of Pew’s programmatic work with a focus on advancing quality research and science and deploying research expertise to further the goals of ongoing projects. The portfolio reviews the design of new research projects across the institution to ensure they are high-quality, unbiased, and methodologically sound. The programmatic elements of the portfolio include specific projects related to biomedical science, environmental science, and fiscal federalism. In addition, research and science has a role in communicating timely, accurate information on state issues to the general public as the Pew daily news publication, Stateline, is part of our organization.
Marine Science and the Lenfest Ocean Program
The environmental research and science division (ERS) works to generate and synthesize scientific research to inform conservation policy and frame solutions to global environmental challenges. Within ERS, the Lenfest Ocean Program (www.lenfestocean.org) sponsors and communicates peer-reviewed research projects on timely marine policy issues, specifically focused on marine ecosystems, fisheries, wildlife, and climate. The program’s highly integrated method of supporting scientific research to inform current and emerging policy questions involves a use-driven project development process combined with targeted communications and engagement with stakeholders.
The senior associate works with colleagues to implement outreach and engagement activities consistent with the program’s strategic plan. The program funds multiple scientific research projects and expert working groups each year to address priority challenges facing our oceans and coasts in regions all over the world.
The senior associate develops and implements project outreach plans to link scientific results to diverse stakeholders. The position includes networking with policy and management audiences across a range of marine conservation issues; connecting with nonprofit, industry, and other stakeholders interested in program-supported research; and implementing impactful and project-specific outreach strategies that help science inform decision-making and advance the program’s strategic goals.
The position also works closely with two program officers that develop research projects and expert task forces for funding; an associate to communicate scientific research through electronic means, including the program’s website, a monthly newsletter, social media, and YouTube; and program leadership to help inform programmatic outreach and strategies.
The position, based in Pew’s Washington, D.C., office, reports to the manager. The position has a set time frame that could be extended based on the success of the program, funding sources and board decisions on continued support.
- Develop and manage a growing portfolio of outreach plans on behalf of program-supported projects concerning a range of marine conservation topics, which includes developing and implementing outreach strategies to link science with decision-making.
- As part of implementing outreach plans, conduct in-depth research on policy and decision landscapes surrounding marine conservation issues to identify a wide diversity of audiences (e.g., decision-makers, industry stakeholders, NGOs, and others) with whom to share research progress and results. Utilize methods such as literature search, internet research, and interviews to develop targeted engagement.
- Collaborate with the project principal investigators (PIs) and the other Lenfest Ocean Program staff to create and disseminate outreach materials. Translate scientific publications into fact sheets, blog posts, news stories, website pages, etc., for broad audiences. Develop executive summaries, reports, and other products to summarize the science in more useable and digestible formats.
- Organize and support events for relevant audiences, including briefings, scientific symposia, and webinars, to disseminate the results of grantee research and increase the profile of the Lenfest Ocean Program.
- Complete project management tasks for grants including organizing outreach files, monitoring progress through check-ins with grantees, and recording status of manuscripts.
- Work with the outreach manager to ensure outreach across all projects is thoughtfully executed in a timely manner to maximize research impact.
- Support the manager in tracking impacts and outcomes of supported research, as well as in assessing the effectiveness of outreach activities to continually improve our work on behalf of the program.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant research and scientific publications related to program focal areas. Develop relationships with legislative and Federal
- Agency staff, nonprofit employees, industry advocates, and other relevant audiences in Washington, D.C., on behalf of projects and the Lenfest Ocean Program.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental or marine science is required, advanced degree or equivalent experience strongly preferred.
- At least four years of applicable professional experience in policy research, stakeholder engagement, and scientific translation, preferably in the environmental science or marine conservation field.
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to track assignments from development through execution.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to briefly translate and summarize scientific issues for a range of audiences. Demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and manage productive relationships with staff, consultants, partners, grantees, and others. Flexibility to work independently or cooperatively with a team to meet goals. Is self-directed and accepts full responsibility for completing assignments and resolving issues. Ability and willingness to think proactively, take initiative, and see tasks through to completion with appropriate follow-up.
- Experience and interest in building and maintaining stakeholder communities.
- Keen attention to detail, outstanding organizational skills, and ability to balance multiple priorities.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
This position requires occasional domestic travel to meetings and conferences.
We offer a competitive salary and benefit program, including: comprehensive, affordable health care through medical, dental, and vision coverage; financial security with life and disability insurance; opportunities to save using health savings and flexible spending accounts; retirement benefits to help prepare for the future; and work/life benefits to maintain a good balance.
The Pew Charitable Trusts is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Pew considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/48ztwkxx9xp9nm2x
How to ApplyClick Here to Apply Online
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405